Flowmaster Swap

silverado777

I've read a ton if information about flowermaster kill performance in our trucks. So I want to put this to the test. However, I want a good muffler. I currently have obx LT headers, no cats into a single 3" flowmaster super 44 muffler and I absolutely love the sound. It is loud all the time and scares women and children. If I am going g to switch to a new muffler I want something that is going to sound as good if not better. However my concern is if I get a flow threw design like magnaflow will it kill my petformance even more due to lack of back pressure? Any suggestions?

I dont know how people like the sound of Flowmaster.. Honestly. Sound like a hollow fart can. You can alway add a cut out to what ever system you have if you want to be loud. Just MHO

Then I guess it wont be too hard to suggest something that sounds better...

Then I guess it wont be too hard to suggest something that sounds better...

You will need a small case muffler to get the "loud" sound you are currently going for. So like 14" or 12" Magnaflow muffler or hell even a 6" race muffler for that matter.

I'm running Magnaflows are love em! Very deep and throaty sound, mellow at idle and mean WOT. With ur cam I'm sure it would give a Magnaflow a nice deep rumble. Corsa does sound good too. A friend of mine has an 07 5.3 w Corsa and it has a more rumbly kinda raspy sound to it. There are many sound clips if you search or I'm sure someone might post one up. Hopefully a tuner will chime in and answer your other question, I'm not sure...

Edited by Bad aSS Silvy (see edit history)

I dont know how people like the sound of Flowmaster.. Honestly. Sound like a hollow fart can. You can alway add a cut out to what ever system you have if you want to be loud. Just MHO

:squintnoeswerdrun: I cannot stand the sound of flowmaster also. You described it very well haha.

On other hand I put magnaflows on my 94 gmc and loved the power gains and the sound was incredible. Magnaflows just sound so perfect to me.

Anyone want to chime in about my back pressure concern?

Your Flowmaster creates exessive heat and backpressure when compared to a straight through muffler desgn. So short answer to your question is you will gain power not lose any. Good luck.

Your Flowmaster creates exessive heat and backpressure when compared to a straight through muffler desgn. So short answer to your question is you will gain power not lose any. Good luck.

I am very skeptical about that since I will pretty much running straight pipe all the way through. However, I guess there is only one way to find. The muf is only $85 and ways. Part number 12219

I am very skeptical about that since I will pretty much running straight pipe all the way through. However, I guess there is only one way to find. The muf is only $85 and ways. Part number 12219

Don't really know why you are so skeptical about it. You are not the first or last person running a straight through exhasut system.

Welcome to the modding addiction :laugh:

Don't really know why you are so skeptical about it. You are not the first or last person running a straight through exhasut system.

I've always been a believer that straight through exhaust is really meant for Turbo or supercharger applications. But like I said we will. Ill order the magnaflow. Just debating on 3" single again or 2.5" dual.

I love the sound of Flowmasters, Love that hollow fart sound! I have super 44's on my 04 GTO with 1 3/4 long tubes, x-pipe, with 2 1/2" pipe. Sounds mean as hell and couldn't be happier. I have Corsa Sport on my wifes 04 Denali and it good for that because it doesn't have the drone on the highway. I don't like the raspy sound of the straight muffler compared to a chambered and i really don't think you loose any noitcable hp? Maybe a few but you would never feel the difference? Just my imput, i think you should choose the sound you like and go from there. Everybody have a different tasteand thank God for all those different choices! I'm trying to figure out what to do with my 03 1500 hd that has the 6.0 but i dont want it to be to loud? i'm stuck?