Hid Hi/Lo Beams

I had an idea a while back about installing Hi/Lo beam hids in both the high and low beam locations instead of a half high beam and half low beam, that way the entire headlight is lit up when the headlights are on. Advice? im a noob when it comes to hids

Mr. P did a how to on this in the HOW-TO section. It's called something like 4-Beam Headlight mod. Anyways I did it to my truck what you need to do is buy a diode from radio shack and connect it between the highbeam and low beam relay wires under the under hood fuse box. There are pictures in the how to of how to do this. It works great because when you hit the highbeams you now get all four lights not just the highs. pepsicheer.gif

Yeah just buy a Diode from Radio Shack, it is a super easy fix that I highly Recomend. I did my truck, my dads truck and I did the Hi-6 mod on my Tahoe (Lows, Highs, Fogs)

Just remove the High and the Low Relays and place the ends of the diode in the 85 pin holes and put the relays back in. Just make sure the part of the Diode with the stripe on it is on the High Relay side.

here is a picture of how it work:

39291766.jpg

This mod works great, but some people have sodered in the Diodes to make sure that it does not come loose

Mr. P has a write up

Link

Edited by diggerdan11 (see edit history)

guys I'm pretty sure what he meant by this is to have a hi/lo bulb in EACH slot, aka 4 low beams on at once rather than the two, same goes for having 4 high beams on at once rather than the 2?

If I'm wrong just slap me now.

Thats exactly what i meant. ive heard of the hi-4 mod. My goal is to have the entire headlight light up instead of just half. i think ive found a bulb that will fit, either the 9007 or the h11. im just not sue how to wire it up. is the ground constant on both lights?

Thats exactly what i meant. ive heard of the hi-4 mod. My goal is to have the entire headlight light up instead of just half. i think ive found a bulb that will fit, either the 9007 or the h11. im just not sue how to wire it up. is the ground constant on both lights?

Ah, now I understand what you meant, You want dual filliment bulbs in both the highs and lows. So then you have 4 lows and 4 High bulbs.

It would take som major rewiring of the whole system, plus double filiment bulbs wont fit in the slots without some modifications. I really dont think its even possible. Chevy trucks are set up with 2 different wiring harnesses, one for lows and one for highs. Unlike lets say ford truck that have one wiring harness with a dual filliment bulb.

This is a very good idea however it is not possible for a couple of different reason actually:

1. HID's are not dual filament bulbs
  2. The way a High/Low works on an HID is that once you flip on your high beams it actually moves the entire light bulb so that the reflection of the light is just higher. HID Highs are not any brighter than the lows. So you might as well just do a separate high and low beam and wire it so the highs are on when you're lows are on. But if you do that then you will just piss everyone off cuz you will blind them. Also if you do high and low together you will need the digital slim ballast or you will blow fuses every time you turn your lights on cuz it's pulling too many volts at once.
  3. You would also have to retro fit a chrome cap in the high beam side to match your low beam side.

Just my 2 centsChevy_anim.gif

This is a very good idea however it is not possible for a couple of different reason actually:

1. HID's are not dual filament bulbs
  2. The way a High/Low works on an HID is that once you flip on your high beams it actually moves the entire light bulb so that the reflection of the light is just higher. HID Highs are not any brighter than the lows. So you might as well just do a separate high and low beam and wire it so the highs are on when you're lows are on. But if you do that then you will just piss everyone off cuz you will blind them. Also if you do high and low together you will need the digital slim ballast or you will blow fuses every time you turn your lights on cuz it's pulling too many volts at once.
  3. You would also have to retro fit a chrome cap in the high beam side to match your low beam side.

Just my 2 centsChevy_anim.gif

Yeah exactly

Just do this, its like staring into the sun. 4Hi mod with HIDs.

103_1978.jpg

103_1977.jpg

That's what I would do! I had hids in both brights and lows with the high 4 mid and it is amazing. I need to out hide back in my brights ( the ballasts went out a couple mo.the ago )