Bad Cats?

feece08

Okay so i had a "clanging" noise coming from my driver side cat. Im almost positive that what it was. a friend told me that sometimes, ecspecially with silverados that the inside of them start to break and rattle. it doesnt do it all the time and it hasnt done it the last couple times i drove it. i just wanna make sure that it whats it is before i put new ones on, any sugestions? also i went to look at some high performance flow cats and all i could find for my year were the stocks, over 1000!! Thanks

-Taylor

Okay so i had a "clanging" noise coming from my driver side cat. Im almost positive that what it was. a friend told me that sometimes, ecspecially with silverados that the inside of them start to break and rattle. it doesnt do it all the time and it hasnt done it the last couple times i drove it. i just wanna make sure that it whats it is before i put new ones on, any sugestions? also i went to look at some high performance flow cats and all i could find for my year were the stocks, over 1000!! Thanks

-Taylor

http://www.jegs.com/p/Magnaflow/Magnaflow-Spun-Cat-Universal-Catalytic-Converters/763223/10002/-1

How many miles do you have on your truck? Cats are warrantied through the manufacturer for 7 years/70k miles. Just food for thought.

is that voidedd if you have aftermarket stuff done...ie; new botom end, exhaust, pro-charger?

80 bones? i can live with that!lol what do you think of just cutting them out and welding pipe in? btw ill never have to do a inspect cause i know its not gunna pass. jw if its going to change the tune.

honestly if youre running a s/c i would delete them...get some of these if you need to pass a visual inspection http://www.siliconei...c54f206c9eb6862

as far as the tune goes youll just have to tune out the rear 02 sensors

OR if you just wanna run cats for the hell of it i have two like new 3'' magnaflow cats that im about to take off my truck and sell. let me know if youre interested!

Edited by zachm89 (see edit history)

A clanging noise is the first sign one is on it's way out. The warranty is a Federal mandate and is 8 years/80,000 miles, and is described in your Owner's Manual. Since you are blown and have other exhaust modifications, there is a good chance the dealer will not honor it. I say gut them. :glare:

cool thanks for all the ideas. i think i might go with those look like cats..this way i dont have to find pipes and cut them and just in case it would apear to be correct.lol and as for that alarm i guess ill have to drive to jersey to get the PCM tuned for it.

Thanks for the correction Dan, I knew 7/70k didn't sound right. I was only off a little bit :P

:thumbs:

cool thanks for all the ideas. i think i might go with those look like cats..this way i dont have to find pipes and cut them and just in case it would apear to be correct.lol and as for that alarm i guess ill have to drive to jersey to get the PCM tuned for it.

Do the free mod, just punch out your current cats, this way they are still in place for your visual inspection. All it will cost you is a couple hours of your time, and maybe a couple of busted knuckles. Also, who tuned your truck originally? There are tuners on this site like Wheatley or BlackBear who can help you out deleting those cat codes, no need to drive to NJ.....

:thumbs:

Do the free mod, just punch out your current cats, this way they are still in place for your visual inspection. All it will cost you is a couple hours of your time, and maybe a couple of busted knuckles. Also, who tuned your truck originally? There are tuners on this site like Wheatley or BlackBear who can help you out deleting those cat codes, no need to drive to NJ.....

i know about wheatley and all them and i almost went that route...when i bought the truck it had been tuned already.. at first i wanted to get it redone just so i knew that it was good to go. but i called the shop did it after they rebuilt the engine and they actually put it on a dyno and shit. they sent me all the diagnostics from the dyno and it looked to check out.. also when i talked to him he told me i can get a retune when ever i want. and with me leaving town so much not a big deal to ship it before i leave.lol and as far as the cats go ive heard that when you do them by hand it nearly impossibly to get all of it...and im not to shabby when it comes to exhaust, am i gunna have to basically sawzall the old cats out then clamp them back into place if i do it this way?

• 1 month later...

heres a vid of what i ended up doing. i went with 2 dynomax race bullets. it has a x pipe and those cats that zach posted up. thanks for all the input.:pepsicheer:

Good deal man, glad I could help out. Truck sounds great and you are much better off with a fake cat and that supercharger :thumbs: