Engine Build

So I picked up the engine last night and I'll have to admit that I felt a little over whelmed already. I think its just mainly the wiring harness that looks complicated. Question is would my wiring harness of my 5.3l work with this engine? Also I noticed it has a cable driven throttle body, can I assume that I can just pull the drive by wire tb of my truck and swap it and work fine?

Yes the wiring harness in your 5.3 truck will interchange. And I would swap the whole intake manifold off your 5.3 onto the LQ4, use the 5.3L intake manifold, 5.3L TB, and 5.3L fuel rails, and the LQ4 injectors. We've run 6.0L motors off the 5.3L PCM & OE tune, you'll be able to start and run the motor on the PCM you have now, but it won't really run 'right' until you get it tuned for the new motor.

I would also advise you use the 5.3L coil packs because they are 'known working parts'; likewise I would also use the oil pressure sending unit from your 5.3L for the same reason, you know it gives a correct reading. I would use the existing crank & cam sensors already in the LQ4.

Don't get scared by the amont of wiring, really it's much simpler than it looks, it's not complicated but just 'involved' because of the wiring for each individual injector & coil pack etc.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Yes the wiring harness in your 5.3 truck will interchange. And I would swap the whole intake manifold off your 5.3 onto the LQ4, use the 5.3L intake manifold, 5.3L TB, and 5.3L fuel rails, and the LQ4 injectors. We've run 6.0L motors off the 5.3L PCM & OE tune, you'll be able to start and run the motor on the PCM you have now, but it won't really run 'right' until you get it tuned for the new motor.

I would also advise you use the 5.3L coil packs because they are 'known working parts'; likewise I would also use the oil pressure sending unit from your 5.3L for the same reason, you know it gives a correct reading. I would use the existing crank & cam sensors already in the LQ4.

Don't get scared by the amont of wiring, really it's much simpler than it looks, it's not complicated but just 'involved' because of the wiring for each individual injector & coil pack etc.

Mr. P.

Thanks, Mr. P. pepsicheer.gif

I am definately feeling more comforatble about this swap. I need to pick up an engine stand today so that I can start pulling it apart to take the block and heads down to the machine shop. So far my thoughts are:

• Balance rotating assembly (Crank & Rods)
  • Hone cylinders
  • Install new piston rings
  • Valve job
  • Port and Polish Heads
  • 224/230 .581/.592 114 LSA cam
  • New springs and retainers

Anything else I might be missing?