Checking A Transfer Case

ok well first i found a nvg 149 for 400 bucks claims to have 40,000 miles on it.... i might go check it out this weekend but its out of the vehicle ........ is ther any way to check to see if its good while its out of the vehicle.. like checking the viscous coupler and stuff

Test

Tools Required

J 45382 Transfer Case Tester

To determine if the viscous coupling is operating correctly, use the following test procedure. Testing the viscous coupling operation by removing a propeller shaft and driving the vehicle will cause the viscous coupling to fail. The test will determine if the viscous coupling is faulty from a totally locked up failure, or if the viscous coupling fluid has leaked out from being severely humped.

Important

The Viscous Coupling Test is very sensitive to the temperature of the transfer case. If the transfer case is very hot, the time to turn will be faster. If the transfer case is cold, the time to turn will be slower.

1. Operate the vehicle for 24 km (15 mi), or until normal operating temperatures are reached.

2. Set the parking brakes for the rear wheels.

3. Position the transmission in NEUTRAL.

4. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.

5. Remove the front propeller shaft. Refer to Propeller Shaft Replacement - Front in Propeller Shaft.

6. Install the J 45382 into the transfer case front output shaft.

7. Using a torque wrench at 11 N·m (100 lb in) on the J 45382 , turn the front output shaft 90 degrees.

8. Note the length of time it takes to turn the front output shaft the 90 degrees.

* If the front output shaft turns slow, and takes at least 10 seconds, the viscous coupling is operating correctly.

* If the front output shaft will not turn, the viscous coupling or the planetary carrier assembly could be locked-up.

* If the front output shaft turns easily, and the 11 N·m (100 lb in) cannot be obtained, the viscous coupling is faulty.

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Thats good info bit dnt hlp me any.... the transfer case is already out and i need to check it bf buying it. I cant remember who but someone a while bck tld me how to check it while it was out.... thats what im trying to figure oit