Looking To Beef Up The Trans

What are some of the best realible upgrades to go with on the 4L60-E, I have a volant CAI w/scoop, Corsa Sport Cat-Back, I'm gonna get Dynatech LT's and a Radix, but I don't want to burn the trans up...

any suggestions??

What are some of the best realible upgrades to go with on the 4L60-E, I have a volant CAI w/scoop, Corsa Sport Cat-Back, I'm gonna get Dynatech LT's and a Radix, but I don't want to burn the trans up...

any suggestions??

research the site...plenty of info in the how-to and transmission sections

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)

For a Max-effort Radix build:

* Converter, 2800-RPM

* Billet Output Shaft

* Hardened Input Shaft (minimum) or Billet Input Shaft (preferred)

* Main Drum Hub Sleeve/Reinforcement Kit & piston

* Beast Shell

* Hi-Rev release spring kit

* Alto Carbonite PowerBand, narrow (minimum) -or- wide one & new drum (optional)

* Borg-Warner Dual-Cage 29-element Sprag

* Blue Plate Special 3/4 frictions

* Kolene full thickness steel plates

* Raybestos Forward & Overrun Clutches

* Overhaul Kit (gaskets, seals, washers, sealing rings, case bushings, filter, etc)

* Vette Servo

* Sonnax Superior/Fairbanks Maximum Overdrive servo

* EPC Valve

* Aluminum accumulator Pistons

* Sonnax Drum quick drain valve

* Sonnax 3rd accumulator orifice check valve

* New AFL valve

* Sonnax shift improver kit

* TruCool Max Transmission Cooler

* Dex-III fluid and LubeGuard Platinum friction modifier

* 13-vane pump and .490 boost valve

This is assuming you have a 4L65, if you have a 4L60 then you will have to add 5-pinion planetaries; if you have a 4L70 then you can skip the Beast Shell.

This is also assuming you have someone that knows what to do with these parts and set-up the transmission build correctly; in my experience I've only met one person and heard of a couple others in the country that are qualified to build a max-performance 4L60. There is much more to making the 4L60 live than just reassembling it to factory specs with improved parts, if you do that you'll just have a dead frictions in just a few months. The secret is all in the setup.

All the parts listed will run about $2400-2500; expect labor to build the transmission to be about $550. If you pay someone to remove & reinstall the transmission, that's another $400-500 in labor.

MAKE SURE that you deal with a transmission builder that doesn't rip you off - I hate to stereotype, but experience has shown that many "transmission professionals" will charge you for hi-performance parts but on later teardowns you discover it's only got stock internals and you did not receive what you paid for. Follow-up on their references.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)