Smoothing And Painting Dash Black

Ok I got separate dash pieces- gauge bezel, passenger vents, overhead console, soon to have dash itself and passenger grab bar and interior side view mirror covers. Ok I want to smooth out the divits out cracks of whatever you call them (there pointed out in the pic below) I plan to scuff the inside really good and get it ruff then use a bodo that works with plastic to fill it in. then sand down all the pieces listed above so there nice and smooth and then use an adhesion promoter and then paint match them black and then clear them. What I'm wondering is, is this the right way to go about doing this our should I bodo and smooth all the pieces that way rather then sanding the original texture down? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. By the way the pic is of my work truck so that's why its dirty lol

post-21297-037540900 1297105738_thumb.jpg

Edited by Millersss (see edit history)

Ok I got separate dash pieces- gauge bezel, passenger vents, overhead console, soon to have dash itself and passenger grab bar and interior side view mirror covers. Ok I want to smooth out the divits out cracks of whatever you call them (there pointed out in the pic below) I plan to scuff the inside really good and get it ruff then use a bodo that works with plastic to fill it in. then sand down all the pieces listed above so there nice and smooth and then use an adhesion promoter and then paint match them black and then clear them. What I'm wondering is, is this the right way to go about doing this our should I bodo and smooth all the pieces that way rather then sanding the original texture down? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. By the way the pic is of my work truck so that's why its dirty lol

You should sand down as much as possible and then you should spray the entire thing with a good high build primer when dry wet sand and then one more coat of high build wetsand again with 400 then spray your sealer good luck it takes alot of time i did alot of the pieces in my tahoe

ive helped do them before like said hi fill primer sanded works. also something like an adheison promoter since the plastic can flex . the one thing i noticed over time is the a pillars ( we painted gloss black) became disformed from the added heat the black retained. they got real ugly and eventually bowed out in the center section as to where you could look from the outside windshield and see in the a pillar because the middle flexed out .

other than that , have a dust rag it is much more noticable when painted .

So do you think a windshield sun protector thing would be a good investment? I did buy an adhesion promoter for the project. I'm pretty exited about doing it along with the red leds in the whole interior. And I will definatly post a bunch of pics of the process and then final product to.

Ok so I started the process of smoothing out the gauge bezel and passenger side vents. Its turning out good so far. I did the bondo once and smoothed it and had some spots that still needed to be filled so did it a second time and made it nice and smooth and then tomorrow I will finish up and paint them black. I'll post more pics as I finish

post-21297-053561600 1297475491_thumb.jpg

post-21297-090377400 1297475519_thumb.jpg

post-21297-039462100 1297475553_thumb.jpg

So if there is anyone watching this thread witch I doubt but ill keep posting the progress. Did the high filler primer to smooth it out completely and get rid of the texture. Did a couple coats of that and just about ready for paint now.

post-21297-023003100 1297612997_thumb.jpg

post-21297-002927700 1297613014_thumb.jpg

post-21297-040798200 1297613046_thumb.jpg