03 Ss Differential

Im currently in afghanistan and need to order a new/used rear end for the ss. Im having problems figuring out exactly what rear end is under it. I know its 4:10 gears. Anyone have any info on this. it would be greatly appreciated. is it a 14 bolt, 12 bolt????

thank ya. would it be worth it to put a 14 bolt in it or jsut find another 10 bolt and replace it. the motor is getting done right now with bigger cam, heads, rotating assembly, etc, should i put a better rear end under it while im at it?

Ive seen some 10 bolts take quite a bit of abuse if you have good gears and a good differential carrier like a tru trac I dont see the 10 bolt being a problem. But a 12 or a 14 bolt would always be stronger but some might take some modification unless you find one out of another SS or possibly a 1500HD otherwise most 14 bolts youll find out of a silverado will be 8 lug and some might have drum brakes. But you being AWD youll have to run the same gear ratio front to back. What is the reason your replacing the whole rear end in the first place?

I bought the truck in 09 and have had problems with the rear wheels lasting a couple months. so i finally got time to take it to get alighned because i thought that was the reason. they put it on the lift with lasers and the rear end is bent out of wack a pretty damn good bit. I put it on a frame machine to try and bend it back. it helped a bit but not enough. so i figured the easiest way would be me either ordering the housing or finding a used read end for it and replacing it. i would like to strengthen it up some though. I want to keep the 4:10 gears that are in it though. i definitely don want to go lower due to gas prices. So i will start looking for a 10 bolt rear end now. did all of the 03 ss come with a 10 bolt? I appreciate your time.

Ya all of the AWD SS's came with a 10 bolt it will be easier to find a 10 bolt for a silverado that it will be to find a 12 or 14 bolt to fit the SS since most of those rear ends are out of the HD trucks which are 8 lug so you have to do some modifications some have drum brakes not disc brakes and some might be a little wider or narrower. Where as you can probably go to a junk yard and find a silverado with a 10 bolt with disc brakes and 6 lug axles really easily. You might just want to go through it before you put it on and make sure everything looks good on the inside. If you can find a 12 or 14 bolt out of a silverado thats a 6 lug then that would be a good rear end too,but I think that will be hard to find!

• 2 weeks later...