Things To Look For When Buying An Ss?

whitesilvy

These trucks are pretty tough and have few problems but I would check all fluids and maintence blah blah and see if it still has the stock transmisiion. That's the biggest weak link in these trucks.

X2.Trans fluid should be nice and red not dark.It should not have a burnt smell.Dexcool should have been changed at 5 years.After that it gets acidic and eats away at gaskets.Lots of stories of GM cars loosing a motor once Dexcool got into the oil.Make sure the water reservoir does not have a mucky brown coating.That is oil mixed with coolant.As Mr P said ask if the chain in the transfer case has been changed at 60K.I would want to see a receipt for the work and of course receipts for oil changes especially synthetic shows an owner who did not cheap out.As in any other used car,running a magnet fridge card along body parts will show if it's been hit before.The magnet will not stick to Bondo.If you can get the past owner's # and call them.Most will be glad to tell you if it was a good or bad truck.If they say the trans or transfer case was replaced.That's a good thing if it has a lot of miles.If the owner agrees get a good mechanic to go over the truck.Hopefully not one recommended by the owner.Look for bad scrapes under the bedliner even though I don't think many owners would want you to start pulling it out.LOL.Lots of scrapes could mean the truck was well worked.Scratches on the roof and Nascar decals are also a bad thing.LOL

Good luck.

These trucks are pretty tough and have few problems but I would check all fluids and maintence blah blah and see if it still has the stock transmisiion. That's the biggest weak link in these trucks.

:withstupid:

and nascar decals are a bad thing lmao

when u take it for a test drive make sure to drive through a parking lot and hit all the bumps u can and turn the wheel as much as poss. when driving through .... these trucks have a bad intermediate steering shaft and make a clunking noise at parking lot or low speeds it can be easily fixed but just to make sure good luck and post some pics

Verify the VIN thats its not a clone

2GCEK19N is what an AWD SS should read to verify it's real, the following #'s are random

and yes check that tranny, I bought mine used, just found out it had a junkyard trans in it, very disappointing, also have the brakes checked, I doubt you wanna spend an extra 500 a day after buying it like I did

Run ur carfax or auto check to verify the title is clean not salvaged, these are a high theft vehicle

do everything else everyone above also stated too!

Edited by Bad aSS Silvy (see edit history)

[Run ur carfax or auto check to verify the title is clean not salvaged,

good points Aaron. all i have to say is that carfax is really not 'GODs'awnser to knowing a cars past. i say that because when i had my stang i started having issues with it, we hired a proffessional mechanic to look over the whole car since me or my dad could not figure out what the problem was.

anyways the mechanic found out that part of the front of the car might have been in a collision and the previous owner simply did not report it ( might have been drunk and probly hit something)

what im saying is that what you see in yourcarfax report is what was reported to the DMV and inssurance company. it does not mean that something still did not happen

buying a used car can be a pain in the ass

here's my current nbs 02 5.3 magnaflow exhaust, air intake, blackbear tune droped 2/4, 20' gmc wheels

IMG_20110214_200320.jpg

IMG_20110212_131737.jpg

whtgmcwhls4.jpg

my dd

96 dropped 3/4

2010-05-09124503.jpg

I'm getting tired of the snow around here and loading up my truck with sand bags, so I want to get a 4x4 crew cab or the other option that came out was the 2004 ss, its the same blue color as bruiser04

as long as the truck is stock and wasnt beatin to shit the trans should be fine. other than that listen for some excessive front end noise. youl probably hear a really really little groan around tight turns mines done it since day 1