My Truck Is Leaking Fluid....

Dealer came back and said it's currently further troubleshooting the problem but it might be either of the following:

Busted gasket or broken/warped connector plate (from transmission to transfer case). If the connector plate is bad it's gonna run between 700-800 bucks... Has anyone had this happen to their truck before?

Dealer came back and said it's currently further troubleshooting the problem but it might be either of the following:

Busted gasket or broken/warped connector plate (from transmission to transfer case). If the connector plate is bad it's gonna run between 700-800 bucks... Has anyone had this happen to their truck before?

No the 4x4 tailshaft/extension housing (what your dealer called "the connector plate" :confused:) has never failed, even in max-effort 11-second AWD SSS trucks. :icon_bs:Ever. There is a big, fat rubber O-ring gasket but again unless that gasket was installed with a tear in it, they don't go bad; I've reused mine a half-dozen times and it's still as good as day #1.

BEFORE you pay the dealer, take the truck to another local transmission shop for a FREE second opinion, and maybe even a THIRD opinion.

Mr. P.

Another idea -

Buy 2 cans of brake cleaner from the auto parts store, get under the truck and totally hose the p!ss out of the transmission pan flange, extension housing, transfer case, etc - wash ALL trace of transmission fluid from the trans and transfer case (they should look brand new & shiny after air drying). Then drive the truck for a few miles, and get back underneath it to find the real source of the leak, before the windrush/driving blows the ATF everywhere, you should be able to spot where the ATF is 'weeping' from the transmission, keep driving until the evidence exposes where the 'real' source of the leak is.

Mr. P.

Man, thanks for the great input. I'm gonna get a second opinion but before I do I'm going to clean it up underneath and find the source of the leak. I had a gut feeling to get a second opinion, so I'm definitely gonna do that. The dealer was the last to mess with it when they replaced my transmission about 5000 miles ago, couple months back. I'm wondering if they didn't f@#% something up afterwards...?

So I got my truck back from the dealer and the paperwork states:

" Found leak around transfer case adapter gasket, checked bolts all tight. Gasket looks ok from outside of it. Need to remove transfer case and check adapter to make sure it is not warped or cracked."

The service rep. told me that they had already removed the transfercase and that they were 100% sure the adapter plate was f*[email protected], they didnt even do that!

I bet the mechanic told the rep. "Might be warped or cracked" then the Service rep turned around and used that to get some cash out of me!!! A-hole.

Good thing I asked on here for input, which backed up my gut feeling!!! I'm gonna spray the bajesus out of my trans and transfercase with brake cleaner to find the leak .

Oh and one other thing that the dealer "Found" was that my Rear Pinioon seal was leaking.... I wonder if thats legit. You would think that dealerships would want to be truthful, with the amount of competition they have when it comes to maintenance...?

The answer is super easy - BRAKE CLEANER!!! Clean everything off, drive a few miles, then look for fresh evidence of leakage both at the transfer case and the rear pinion.

Replacing the transfer case adapter gasket is SUPER easy and you can almost do the entire job with a 11mm wrench, 15mm deep socket, and 15mm wrench! We routinely remove a transfer case in under an hour, I am sure that a reputable transmission shop would be happy to change out that $3 gasket for 2-hours of shop labor. BUT since the dealer was last to install the transmission, that leaky gasket is covered under their "warranty" because they should have used a new one when they removed and replaced the transmission.

Let me say it this way -

1. The transmission output coupler did not leak when you brought the truck in for transmission service.

2. The dealer removed and replaced the transmission.

3. It has leaked ever since.

Mr. Spock would suggest that the transmission tech damaged the gasket, or dropped (damaged) the transfer case onto the ground & damaged the output coupler, or failed to reinstall using a new replacement gasket...

I think you get the picture.

Option 1 - make the dealer repair under warranty (install issue) - cost = being a complete a$$hole until they cave-in and accept their responsibility.

Option 2 - take it to a transmission repair place, and pay them - cost = 2-hours labor ($50-80 per hour) and 50 "whooo-saaaa's"

Option 3 - DIY - cost = borrow a few simple tools, cussing, 2-hours time, and a $3 gasket.

Now that I think about it, I see where I get my cussing habit from...

Mr. P.

BY THE WAY -

Gasket looks ok from outside of it.

:bs::bs::bs:

That gasket is hidden once the joint is bolted together - it is impossible to observe the gasket when the unit is assembled with all bolts tightened; you have to crack the unit apart to expose the gasket, and inspect it - and in the process that drains half the ATF out of the trans & makes a huge puddle on the floor. At this point, there very well could not even BE a gasket present and nobody would be able to know, until the transfer case is unbolted and pulled back from the transmission.

Dumbasses. :shakehead:

Whoops I'm cussing again... :idiot:

Mr. P.

p.s. - Right now I'm working through some external stuff in my life so I'm not normally so hot-headed, but if I were in your shoes right this moment I would walk in with that repair estimate and ask all the service techs and repair writers to gather around and then ask them to produce the XRay picture they took which showed them the gasket INSIDE the transfer case coupler appeared to be ok... since it's impossible to see from the outside and last time I checked nobody has XRay vision... :mad:

OK let me keep going - that mentioned gasket is THICK, like 1/8" thick - the flange of the coupler would have to be SERIOUSLY warped to leak, warped BAD; now on the other hand if the transfer case was dropped onto it's nose (i.e. that coupler) when it was removed initially and it put a hairline crack into the coupler, I could believe that. OR, if these monkeys just plain forgot to install a gasket on reassembly, I could believe that too...

Factoid - if that gasket is to blame, you should see evidence of ATF missing from the transmission, that gasket will leak from the tranny, not the transfer case. As long as you keep topping off the transmission ATF you can still drive the truck temporarily, it won't hurt anything except make an Exxon Valdez under your truck. :sick:

I lived in Stephenville 8-years, I know the small west-Texas town dealership mentality all too well, unfortunately.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)