Procharger Head Unit Concerns

I bought a used P1sc kit from a friend of mine and am starting to have some concerns. The head unit was serviced by procharger less than 5k miles before he took it off his truck and had all the seals and what not inspected and/or replaced. Upon installing the kit on my truck i drained the oil in the head unit and it was a very silvery grey color, even with under 5k miles on it (procharger recommends changing the oil in them every 6k or so.) Didnt think anything of it and poured in a fresh bottle of oil and didnt think of it again until i got home the other day from tuning. With less than 500 miles on the fresh bottle of oil it was already turning a silvery grey color again and there were 4-5 metal shavings stuck to the end of the dipstick. I tried my best to inspect the rest of the oil when i drained it but most of it ended up on the ground because i couldnt get a cup up under the head unit to catch all of it. Should i be concerned or is this fairly normal? really dont want to have my few thousand dollar investment blow up on me. Thanks for any and al input fellas.

Zach

I hear your concern; I would not jump to any conclusions yet until you've run this 3rd fluid change through it. "Silvery" while not being perfect would not upset me, "shavings" would make me ask questions. Best advice I can give is to do what you are now and ask what to expect in the way of fluid changes from other P1SC owners (on LS1tech as well), or call ATI and ask their opinion on what you are seeing.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

I hear your concern; I would not jump to any conclusions yet until you've run this 3rd fluid change through it. "Silvery" while not being perfect would not upset me, "shavings" would make me ask questions. Best advice I can give is to do what you are now and ask what to expect in the way of fluid changes from other P1SC owners (on LS1tech as well), or call ATI and ask their opinion on what you are seeing.

Mr. P.

According to ATI greyish colored oil is from running it too long without changing so the oil we drained out on install i payed no attention to. but the fact that with only 500 miles on the new oil and it was already getting to the same color and consistency it worries me a little and the fact there were metal shavings in it just isnt good at all, ATI confirmed that as well. Im going to run the piss out of it for a week or so and see how it looks after that. someone on pt.net instructed me on a better way to drain the head unit without the oil going everywhere and said to then pour it through a coffee filter to see if there are any shavings in it again. If there is a problem the guy i bought it from said he is going to make it good and pay for any repairs if it needs it so im just going from there right now. hopefully i wont run into any further problems

I think you are still 'washing' the grey/silver out of the head unit; the coffee filter idea is a *great* one, we do the same with ATF. Take pics of the next fluid change, as well as a pic of the evidence in the coffee filter and send to ATI support and see what they say.

Mr. P.

Strain it as best as you can on the next flush. The color is not totally uncommon at all. I have seen the silver grey and actually seen some mild debris on the fresh rebuilds before. Now if it continues after another flush and you do find shavings I would send it right back to ATI and have them check the tolerances the step up gears if not spaced properly or the intermediate shaft inside is worn you will have those gears meshing together way too hard and that will chew up the inside of the blower. One way to feel that the gear case may be an issue is pull the belt and roll the pulley back and forth with your hand slowly and feel the impeller in the back if it feels like there is any kind of slop in it when you turn the pulley it should engage tightly if it feels like it has play I would call procharger right away. I have had several units rebuilt by them and actually have had two issues and both of them were oil seal related.

Well I drained the head unit again today. After about a week or so of beating the piss out of it the oil was silvery again but no metal shavings this time, thank god. As far as play in the pulley, when you turn it back and forth it does feel a bit loose before it engages the blower but it's not much, I doubt enough to worry about anyway. Looks like I dodged the bullet on having to have it rebuilt, guess I'll have to find another excuse later on to have it upgraded to a d1 :P

Edited by zachm89 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...