Bulletproof Nv149 Rebuild?

Just picked a NV149 transfer case on ebay for $250 shipped!!There are no pinholes or anything in the case but it does look like the DS yoke was wearing down on the rear bearing,thank goodness no damage from what ive read here. Its in need of a total rebuild with new seals,bushings,and chain.After I get it and my 4l80 rebuilt,these will be going in my truck so I can ditch the BW 4481.

Question is,are there any upgrade parts available??Ive heard somthing about the oil pump clip??

What about mating the NV149 to the 4l80???Is it the output shaft on the 4l80 that gets changed or is it the input shaft on the NV149?? If its the 4l80 output,I might just have a CK performance make a billet output the correct size to mate the 2.

I did a search but theres alot of conflicting info and most of it is OLD.Any help or advice from others who have done this would be greatly appreciated.

Yea,I read that Justin(?) at EAD Perfromance modifes a stock NV149 input shaft and charges $420+ core.I can have a billet shaft made cheaper than that thru CK Performance.Years ago,billet shafts were $600-$800 on most every application.Chris at CK decided he could make a better/cheaper product and now billet shafts sell for $250-$300.

Any other upgrades??

Yea,I read that Justin(?) at EAD Perfromance modifes a stock NV149 input shaft and charges $420+ core.I can have a billet shaft made cheaper than that thru CK Performance.Years ago,billet shafts were $600-$800 on most every application.Chris at CK decided he could make a better/cheaper product and now billet shafts sell for $250-$300.

Any other upgrades??

Well heck then id go that route. You answered your own question. Sound like you got it all taken care of. I used justins input shaft it worked great and it was $405 shipped and that was with the core which is $80. So it was $325.

As far as the oil-pump anti-wear clips go, you can either use the revised clips from GM or possibly a better solution is the kit from Sonnax. Their 100246-02K kit eliminates all metal-to-magnesium contact of the pump by replacing the OE pump tabs with low-friction plastic inserts, and eliminating and the U-shaped steel insert, by replacing the steel clips with plastic clips and also includes a screwed on wear plate to keep the aluminum pump body from making direct contact to the case.

I haven't seen where anyone has done it with the NVG-149 case, but it is a common practice with other cases to use a wider/stronger chain. While I can't say, it may be possible with the 149 as well.

Edited by Bear (see edit history)

As far as the oil-pump anti-wear clips go, you can either use the revised clips from GM or possibly a better solution is the kit from Sonnax. Their 100246-02K kit eliminates all metal-to-magnesium contact of the pump by replacing the OE pump tabs with low-friction plastic inserts, and eliminating and the U-shaped steel insert, by replacing the steel clips with plastic clips and also includes a screwed on wear plate to keep the aluminum pump body from making direct contact to the case.

http://www.sonnax.co....pdf?1289884144

I haven't seen where anyone has done it with the NVG-149 case, but it is a common practice with other cases to use a wider/stronger chain. While I can't say, it may be possible with the 149 as well.

Thanks for the info Bear!!

Your link doesnt work though bud.

Thanks for the info Bear!!

Your link doesnt work though bud.

Sorry about that, I copied it straight into the thread......... who knows, but you get the idea just the same and at least know where to look.

Yea,I read that Justin(?) at EAD Perfromance modifes a stock NV149 input shaft and charges $420+ core.I can have a billet shaft made cheaper than that thru CK Performance.Years ago,billet shafts were $600-$800 on most every application.Chris at CK decided he could make a better/cheaper product and now billet shafts sell for $250-$300.Any other upgrades??

if you go that route that route than your putting a hige bottle neck in the setup . im sure he can make a billet output shaft for the 80e to go into the nvg149 , but without changing the input gear on the t-case youll be using basically the same output shaft as a 60e. they have had those out for a long time but being the 4l60 output shaft is one of the weak links , even the billet ones ( i have seen them break before as well).

Just making a point , why do an 80e swap to use a turned down 60 output shaft? do it right the first time . didnt know they were 420 now i thought that included the core.

if you go that route that route than your putting a hige bottle neck in the setup . im sure he can make a billet output shaft for the 80e to go into the nvg149 , but without changing the input gear on the t-case youll be using basically the same output shaft as a 60e. they have had those out for a long time but being the 4l60 output shaft is one of the weak links , even the billet ones ( i have seen them break before as well).

Just making a point , why do an 80e swap to use a turned down 60 output shaft? do it right the first time . didnt know they were 420 now i thought that included the core.

yes the $405 includes the core which is $80. i agree with you on the billet turn down. plus its super simple to take the t-case apart and put the shaft in it.

I had that transmission output shaft on my 4l80 and snapped it right in half after like 50 miles. I put the new t-case input shaft in and upgraded to the 4l80 output shaft and haven't had a problem since

I had that transmission output shaft on my 4l80 and snapped it right in half after like 50 miles. I put the new t-case input shaft in and upgraded to the 4l80 output shaft and haven't had a problem since

well I see the problem with the shaft in this post :jester:

I have seen his shafts and I'm not overly excited about them at all. He is also a PITA to deal with.

:censor:

In all fairness I did not find Chris K. that difficult to deal with personally, but I have heard second-hand that others have; as a past customer, he DID do what he said he would do, and DID sell what he advertised, I would not include him with the other "transmission professionals" I've encountered operating as total B.S. artists and/or crooks; but he does have a heavy 'Jersey Attitude' enough to be abrasive to most folks in the other 49 states, it's just his demeanor. I really like his wife though, she was very sweet on the phone.

However all that said - I completely agree with The Distinguished Retired Gentleman From DFW :D that I and many others have found much better pricing, products, and 4L60 knowledge elsewhere; for the amount of money that CK Performance charged I expected "the best" and after another 4L60 failure (main drum failure as I recall?) I took my business elsewhere.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)