Throttle Body Advice

03SSrado

Hey guys. in the process of buying some little bolt ons for my 03 SSS. Shes got a K&N CAI, and i ordered my pacesetter long tubes yesterday along with 160 t stat. now im curious as to what the best combo is for TB. what is a good size that responds well? i think stock is 78mm if im not mistaken.? i'd appreciate everyones input

thanks guys

You can get it ported for like $100 which some people say can get up to 5 hp. New one from bbk are way to expensive. The best thing to do would be to swap out to a car intake manifold with a 4 bolt TB so you can run a 90mm or bigger. Also I think the NNBS intake manifolds will work on our truck which also run a 4 bolt TB. If you don't want to do the swap then I would look into different mods. Go with a tune. That will be the best bang for your buck.

You can get it ported for like $100 which some people say can get up to 5 hp. New one from bbk are way to expensive. The best thing to do would be to swap out to a car intake manifold with a 4 bolt TB so you can run a 90mm or bigger. Also I think the NNBS intake manifolds will work on our truck which also run a 4 bolt TB. If you don't want to do the swap then I would look into different mods. Go with a tune. That will be the best bang for your buck.

x2

i failed to include the fact that thats my plans. i was wanting to get TB prior to tune. because i ordered my headers thinkin i'd do headers then tune but figured if i was going to do a TB down the road i might as well go ahead and do it before the tune.

to make the most of a tb upgrade you'd have to go with a 4 bolt tb. The tbss or the vette tb would be your choices, all include a manifold upgrade. I would not go through the pain of changing to a car intake, i would use the tbss intake instead. Changing intakes includes all its own modifications, search for tbss intakes to get a feel for what it takes to do the swap.

all in all its a pain to do the swap. Is it worth some power, sure, but the money could be spent else where for even more power down the road. I would keep this as a later mod to go with a cam and head swap. I have seen the stock tb pull some good numbers to the wheels and good ET's as well, like 12.8's on one truck and 13.2's on another truck with stock cubes and NA on both.

It's great that your thinking ahead on the mods vs doing the tune to soon :thumbsup: .

appreciate the input guys. most the tracks around here are 1/8 mile.. im doin low 9.4s right now and thought it'd be cool to break into the 8's with boltons.

thoughts on electric fans and pulleys??

i put the under drive pulley on and got a tenth at best, which could have been da or heat soak i wasn't paying attention to those things back then. I changed too many things at once to rate the e fans, but i do believe in them as simple mod and it looks good under the hood.

I wouldn't waste my time with changing the TB till you do more internal upgrades.

If and when you decide to do a cam, heads, or FI then would be the time to go with a larger TB.

You might gain 15hp with the TB and intake swap, but you will have alot left on the table till you do something to let the swap be more efficient. Like heads and cam.

Switching over to a car style intake and TB setup can get costly as you have to switch over a majority of the accessories from an f-body. By the time you switch over everything you can be in the price range of the FAST LSXRT intake, and put a 90mm TB on it. You will also need a new harness for the TB to operate correctly. Like a DR X or a Speartech to name a few.

On the tune part. Most of the tuning vendors on here offer free reflashes. This means that if you modify the engine, or get bigger wheels, or whatever. You can call them up and send the PCM back to them and they will retune it for your new setup.

Thanks guys.. My headers are here along with 160 t stat. tune is next to come.

and yes i wouldnt waste money on a spacer, i was referring to bigger TB such as an 87 or 90 mm.

but i appreciate the input, glad alot of yall know what yall are talking about, im not illiterate when it comes to cars, but 98% of yall on here probably know more specifically about our engines than i do.

thanks again, ill probably be posting some numbers in the near future. went 9.44 at 74 mph with K&N CAI.

we'll see what she does with headers and a tune.