Whats Our Tranny'S Rated At?

maybe 50 hp J/k. but not to much. heck i bet if you rodded a stock SS hard you would lose the trans. these things are so weak. with basic bolts ons it would kill the trans. IMO stock 4l60s are just a waiting time bomb.

Throw away the TB spacer. It does absolutely nothing on these trucks.

Search it out on here but prob look into a shift kit and what not. It will help. Also get a hold of zippy he makes and sells kits if im not mistaken.

ok ill look into it. well i just ordererd it about 2 hours ago lol why wont it help??? will it help on gas atleast?

The stock transmission does not have an official rating, however service literature points out many places where components ARE rated at around 375 ft-lbs of torque (main drum assembly being one of them). The trucks from the factory have more motor than the transmission can take, GM used PCM programming and torque management to make the combination live it's 3/36 warranty period. Frankly it still amazes me the trucks limped off the dealer lots when they were new...

Mr. P.

wow.... well ima gonna do some research on it, what do you recommend i do Mr.p???

That all depends on how much torque you want to produce in your vehicle, along with weight, converter choice, and the fact it's AWD. What future mod plans do you have? In any case, the stock 4L60 will need 'fortifying' if you do any form of performance modifications (including an aftermarket tune); how much depends on it's intended use. And then there is also the 4L80 swap option.

Mr. P. :)

well i plan on twin turbo kit with a total of 16 lbs boost on the 6.0 after i get close too 300000 miles on it i wanna have it rebuilt. but thats gonna be years from now should i go ahead and look into the 4l80e??? i wanna get around 500-600 hp out of it, maybe a single turbo, i havent looked alot into it. its just all talk in my head lol what is the 4l80e rated up too???

Edited by Silverad0 SS (see edit history)

i wanna get around 500-600 hp out of it,

A built 4L60 will handle that, assuming the hydraulics are set-up correctly; I would recommend a max-effort build at that level of performance, expect to spend $2500-2700 for the trans and another $750 for the converter. There's a LOT of details that go into a build like that, but the big points would be billet shafts, modified drum, Vette 2nd servo & billet 4th servo, front planetary gearset/assembly from a Hummer 4L65, along with all the other 'typical' aftermarket hi-po 4L60 parts. There's only a handful of people in the country that know how to build a 4L60 at this level and make it live, expect labor to be $550 of the bill. A 4L60 of this caliber in a turbo or TVS blower application will give good life in a truck running high-11s, maybe even mid-11s and that's about as fast as you can go without having to put a rollcage in the vehicle.

well i plan on twin turbo kit with a total of 16 lbs boost on the 6.0 ... should i go ahead and look into the 4l80e??? ... what is the 4l80e rated up too???

If 16-psi (2-bar MAP sensor) is all you want then stick to a large single turbo IMO. 16-psi when done well on a 6.0L *my opinion* is in the 900 horsepower range. Twin turbos (done well) will give far more than 16-psi on a 6.0L - that's more like 1200+ if not more. At those levels, a built 4L80 would be following 'current best practice' and I would budget far more $$$ to the trans build; a stock 4L80 will take more abuse than a 4L60 but presents many other project build issues. If you really have your heart set on a 4L80, I will offer you this free advise, get one of the older ones, they lubricate better on modified builds - you can tell the difference easily because the external ATF cooling line exists the case at the rear of the trans, versus the newer 4L80s where both lines enter/exit at the front of the case near the bellhousing.

How fast do you want to go anyways? Really? Do you want to have to put a cage in the truck? Do you want to go 12's? 11's? 10's?

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

ok man cool i plan on turbo a long time from now, id like to be in the mid 12's low 12's but first i wanna get atleast 300,000 miles on my truck first and then get it rebuilt. so i just need something to hold up e-fans, exhaust and a wheatley tune for now what would you recommend for that???

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but what would you recommend for my trans Mr. P? All i'm putting into it is corsa cat back exhaust and a wheatley tune next week, it has a CAI. Might go efans, 160* stat, and headers no cats in the summer. Want to do low 14 high 13 at most right now.

Edited by ThatTallCanadian (see edit history)