Camera Equipment....What Do You Have?

JF-03-SS

How about all the photographers on the site post their setups and advice of camera's so beginners would know what to look for when shopping for a camera?

Total newbie here to DSLR's but this is what I bought 3/21/11:

Model:Canon EOS Rebel T3i

Lens:EF-S 18-55mm image stabalized

Accessories:UV Filter, Circular Polarizer, Lowepro-Fastpack 100 backpack

Now: Figure out what everything means and does.

Next: Long range zoom lens.

photo-87.jpg

Took a couple pics of this crazy guy running around......Took a couple pics of this crazy

guy running around......

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

Edited by JF-03-SS (see edit history)

your dog looks like he is having fun!

He gets into this mood where he gets real low to the ground and then runs at you full speed and flies around you at the last second, its like he gets spring fever. Its wicked funny when he does it in the snow.

I have T1i with a couple lenses that I use. I have the 18 - 55mm like you, 75 - 250mm, and a 50mm fixed. I also have UV filters on them all. Overall it takes pretty nice pictures, but someday I'll upgrade to a full frame camera.

I shoot Nikon almost exclusively. Canon are very good cameras also. Since I work in a camera store I shoot with a lot of different cameras/lenses just to see how they are. There are hundreds of lenses to choose from but I would say stay with manufacturers brand unless I could shoot with it on a trial basis. Aftermarket brands tend to vary greatly. Reccommendations would depend on what you want to spend.

Some good lenses for that camera for reasonable prices:

Everday lens

Canon 18-200 f3.5-5.6 IS Around $550-600

Canon 55-200 f4-5.6 IS Around $200.250

Tamron 18-200 f3.5-6.3 LD IF Macro Around $300-400

Prime lens

Canon 100mm EF USM f2.8 Macro $475-525

Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro $500 +/-

You can probably find all of these cheaper if you dig around on-line enough. Just make sure you get U.S. warranty if you go that route.

If you're looking at a specific lens feel free to pm me. We usually can't beat the online prices but I'd be happy to give you my opinion if I'm familiar with that lens.

If you're looking at a specific lens feel free to pm me. We usually can't beat the online prices but I'd be happy to give you my opinion if I'm familiar with that lens.

Thanks Bob, great info. Once I figure out my camera I def. will be buying a longer zoom lens.

I shoot Nikon almost exclusively....

:withstupid:

I bought myself a Nikon D90 and *love* it; it was pricey, a kit with the body & Nikor lens and bag & charger etc cost around $1200 but I have NEVER regretted it; there is no way a iPhone or point-n-shoot camera can come anywhere close to the Nikon in the ability to capture & manipulate light, especially in low-light situations (indoors). IMO buying a point-n-shoot camera is a total waste of money, because there are lots of situations where they will let you down and not get the shot; buy a Nikon and *boom* you are an instant shutter god. I will not debate that the Canon EOS isn't a good camera also, but I don't really care for the software in the Canon, I prefer the results of the Nikon. The D90 also takes great video, and holds its resale value very well. The proof is in the pudding, I have captured some spectacular pics with the Nikon, including these which would never have been captured or come out at all with a phone or point-n-click camera:

This is one my favorites, TxVanWilder and Retired99 at TX Motorplex; this is one of the first photos I took with the Nikon, the camera was set to 'automatic' and I love what it did with the focal length:

_DSC0119.jpg

This truck belongs to Jon at DB-Rods, great detail in the bed liner:

_DSC0113.jpg

Dan (Retired99) working on the MidnightRidr twin-turbo build:

_DSC0144.jpg

This photo should be familar to everyone, it is this years performancetrucks.net calendar cover photo:

_DSC0153.JPG

This is Retired99's single-cab, he installed LED engine bay lighting and there is no way this photo would come out right with a phone or point-n-click camera:

Engine-Bay-LEDs-wr.jpg

This is a modified turn signal that Bonj and Retired99 did on the Bonjie Blue Blur - you can see the factory orange peel detail in the paint, the scratches in the headlight reflector, and lens...

_DSC0218.jpg

This photo would be impossible to get with a phone camera or point-n-click, because it was taken at night with limited lighting; this truck really was so clean you could lick it. Anywhere.

_DSC0244-w.jpg

One of my favorite photos, Jason (MidnightRidr) calls it "God Drives a Chevy" - I took a pic of him and his wife at dusk in front of my truck, and the Bowtie-shaped reflection of the sun in the window is genuine, this is not photoshopped. Another VERY important part is to look at the contrast of his wife's face where it was shaded by her ballcap, I doubt a walmart camera would capture the image this well because they would make that part of her face very dark, the contrast would be dark and you would not be able to see that shaded part of her face at all.

Jason-Jordin.jpg

My truck at my sister's place in northern California -

_DSC0103.jpg

This is a picture of my kids at Yellowstone lower falls; you know how hard it is to get early teenage siblings to pose with each other?!

_DSC0119.jpg

Proof I don't always have the cleanest truck - this is what happens when you have a transmission problem and have to put 6-gallons of ATF in over 280-miles :sick: it winds-up all over the tailgate! You can clearly see that under the tailgate handle there is so much ATF blown onto the tailgate that it's dripping, same with the bumper step-cover... the Nikon takes great detail pics in very low light.

_DSC0124w.jpg

Another very difficult camera shot, because the garage is totally dark (shaded) and the outside is totally sun-lit, and the Nikon did not washout the picture or capture an image where the contrast or whitebalance was totally off the mark:

_DSC0129w.jpg

My truck and the PimpSS in the pit garage at Texas Motor Speedway!

_DSC0203.jpg

I have a few more spectacular photos at home showing what this camera is capable of - Nikon FTMFW.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

I have a few more spectacular photos at home showing what this camera is capable of - Nikon FTMFW.

Mr. P. :)

X2...The wife and I have a D90, D200, and D300. The D200 and 300 are her money makers with her photography biz. And the D90 is my play around camera.

a couple shots from the d90 from last years KC Meet

KCapril2010226.jpg

KCapril2010265.jpg

KCapril2010252.jpg

KCapril2010214.jpg

KCapril2010186.jpg

• 8 months later...