Tactical Rifle Suggestions

silverado777

Due to the fact that I went to the gun show last weekend and have been watching the series Sons of Guns. I have been really wanting a tactical rifle. Anybody have any suggestions or pics of what they have? I think I have my heart set on a Bushmaster .223 cal. However, I would like to convert it to fully auto or 3 round burst.

I would also like to do the same thing with a .308 later on.

haha im your gun guy i know all about guns a Bushmaster AR-15 is a great gun id go with it. get a tactical quad rail up front get a handle maybe a flashlight or laser and get a eotech replica or an acog replica unless your really rich then buy the reall ones replicas works just as good, as far as going 3 round burst and fully auto, that is highly ilegal if you make that gun that way, if your a cop or in the forces go for it you can actualy buy them 3 round and fully auto then. its a very big deal to make a fire arm automatic, a highly federal offence and if you got anymore questions message me ill help you out.

about the .308 those are called AR-10's those are my favorite

Edited by Silverad0 SS (see edit history)

There is a ATF scare with the imported Saiga 12s at the moment. Price has jumped almost double for a stock un converted S12,and sold out at about every importer. I talked to Will from RJF about two weeks ago and they are running 14-20 weeks turn around for just the pistol grip conversion with RJF combat reliability package.

I would get a Sig Sauer 556 over a BushMaster but it cost a little more.

cid__1_0D2AA28C0D2A9FA8006EC054852574EA_thumb.jpg

Due to the fact that I went to the gun show last weekend and have been watching the series Sons of Guns. I have been really wanting a tactical rifle. Anybody have any suggestions or pics of what they have? I think I have my heart set on a Bushmaster .223 cal. However, I would like to convert it to fully auto or 3 round burst.

I would also like to do the same thing with a .308 later on.

5.45x39 very inexpensive to shoot and faster than the .223

Well here is my opinion as I am going to buy another "AR".

I personally (this is my opinion) would look no where else than Colt if you are shopping the "big name brands". I am going to pick up a LE 6920 M4 Carbine shortly. Here is a comparison between the Bushmaster and the Colt 6920 both in the 5.56 NATO / 223 chamber:

Bushmaster uses the rifle front sight base instead of the F-marked front sight base. Practical difference: You may need a taller front sight post with the Bushmaster using some sights.

Bushmaster does not parkerize under the front sight base. Practical difference: You'll get a little rust there; but not much.

Bushmaster does not magnetic particle test or proof test its bolts. Colt does. Practical difference: Not much. The Colt has higher QC to prevent bolt breakage but it still happens with both models.

Bushmaster uses standard carbine handguards instead of double-shield M4 handguards. These circulate air around the barrel better; but also make the rifle hotter to hold and are narrower.

Bushmaster uses a standard rifle front sling. Colt uses a side-mounted front sling. Practical difference: The Bushmaster will roll using some tactical slings, the Colt won't.

Bushmaster uses standard AR15 feed ramps. Colt uses the extended M4 feed ramps. Practical difference - the Colt feeds hollowpoints, long OAL rounds better and is more reliable in high cyclic rate situations (full-auto, suppressor use).

Bushmaster uses a 1/9 twist barrel. Colt uses a 1/7 twist barrel. Practical difference: The Colt will stabilize heavier, longer rounds better than the 1/9. With the Bushmaster, you may be limited to 69gr or less rounds (some Bushmaster barrels can handle up to 75gr, some cannot - kind of a crap shoot, look into it as this sold me).

Bushmaster comes with a standard carbine buffer. Colt comes with an H-Buffer. Practical difference: Colt buffer is 1oz heavier which comes in handy with suppressors but otherwise does nothing beyond aiding reliability just a tiny bit.

Bushmaster comes with a blue extractor insert and normal AR15 extractor spring. Colt comes with a black extractor insert and heavy duty extractor spring. Practical difference: The Colt extracts more reliably; but the Bushmaster is easy enough to upgrade to the same standard for about $25.

Finally, Colt has much, much better QC than Bushmaster; but if something does go wrong, then good luck getting it fixed. Bushmaster on the other hand commonly has issues such as improperly staked gas keys, gas keys too loose, overtorqued barrels and various other minor issues; but they are very good about fixing their problems.

The Colt DOES cost about $300 more than the bushmaster so YOU will need to determine if the above perks are worth it. Its all about what the shooter is looking for.

I have a Sig Handgun and if that rifle posted above (post 3) is of the same quality, that is surely a nice piece. Not sure what the cost is but I would venture a bit on the expensive side.

Edited by Krambo
spelling (see edit history)

I have a ar15 bushmaster and it shoots like a dream and is very accurate. Don't be one of those guys that has every attachment know to man... so gay!! But anyway you want something with a lil more power I would recommend a springfeild socom great all around gun (308) caliber. If you want something wild check out the fn2000 I think is what it is.. good luck on the gun hunt.

I have a ar15 bushmaster and it shoots like a dream and is very accurate. Don't be one of those guys that has every attachment know to man... so gay!! But anyway you want something with a lil more power I would recommend a springfeild socom great all around gun (308) caliber. If you want something wild check out the fn2000 I think is what it is.. good luck on the gun hunt.

Jon, You need to show them some real guns...... post a pic of one of your dads.

well a gun i am going to build is a i am going to get a lower reciever (probly daniel defense) and then i am going to get a daniel defense 10.5 barrel, probly get a eo tech site or something and then i am going to get the rock river arms .458 socom upper reciver bc the bullets use a 5.56 magazine..... and one or 2 other barrels

haha im your gun guy i know all about guns a Bushmaster AR-15 is a great gun id go with it. get a tactical quad rail up front get a handle maybe a flashlight or laser and get a eotech replica or an acog replica unless your really rich then buy the reall ones replicas works just as good, as far as going 3 round burst and fully auto, that is highly ilegal if you make that gun that way, if your a cop or in the forces go for it you can actualy buy them 3 round and fully auto then. its a very big deal to make a fire arm automatic, a highly federal offence and if you got anymore questions message me ill help you out.

about the .308 those are called AR-10's those are my favorite

I'm calling BS on this, if there are any COPS in this SS forum please chime in, but I don't think even a police office can purchase a full auto or three round burst gun just isn't going to happen unless you live in a state that allows full autos or you have a Class 3 firearms license! as far as eeotechs or acogs go, replicas are just that! they aren't just as good as the real deal! I don't know where you got that/this info from but I believe you are wrong in all points you tried to make! just my thought!

Unless you have the appropriate licenses in states that authorize fully automatic weapons you are unable to purchase fully automatic weapons. Police and military personnel are NOT given any special priveleges in that regard. They, too, must apply for the corresponding licenses. Police departments and military units are authorized to purchase fully automatic weapons however - individual members, however, can't. Modifying your personal weapons to make them fully automatic is a FELONY. The last time I checked, all fully automatic weapons had to be registered; you get caught with one that's been modified or isn't registered and you'll never vote, or hold a weapon again.

Also, EOTech and ACOG knock-offs suck and don't work. Don't be fooled - if you want one, pay the big money and get the real deal. Anyone who has ever used the real thing can tell you the difference.