4L65E Rebuilt? Or 4L80

just got off the phone with tci transmission he said 3600 to re-build my tranny up too 650 hp is that a good price??? he said for the 4l80e swap would be very very expensive because you have to change a bunch of shit out, WHAT THE HELL DO I DO?!?! im losing sleep over this lol

I had this same dilemma back in july. My 4l65 went out, and youd be suprised bro. I yanked it out and took it to one of the local tranny shops that I have heard good stuff about and for 1600 bux he rebuilt the entire thing, but put in a billet sunshell, and billet input shaft along with upgraded clutches and bands and a reprogrammed upgraded valve body. He also gave me the option to go with a furnace brazed torque converter for 100 bux more so I eagerly did that. They guy was really cool to the point where he even gave me some cans of cooler line flush from his own stock and didnt charge me a dime for it. From my experience, some of the small mom and pop shops can be a diamond in the rough.

Andy

just got off the phone with tci transmission he said 3600 to re-build my tranny up too 650 hp is that a good price??? he said for the 4l80e swap would be very very expensive because you have to change a bunch of shit out, WHAT THE HELL DO I DO?!?! im losing sleep over this lol

$3600?????

http://www.finishlinetrans.com/transmissions/extremeDuty4L65.htm

^ $2,550 with core exchange

OR

4L80E stage 3 from FLT, for $2,800 since you dont have a core to ship back to them

$3600?????

http://www.finishlin...emeDuty4L65.htm

^ $2,550 with core exchange

OR

4L80E stage 3 from FLT, for $2,800 since you dont have a core to ship back to them

i just got off the phone with them, he told me to get the 4l65e stage 5? are they a pretty good company? it was $2,600 with shipping and tax plus the core

Edited by Silverad0 SS (see edit history)

i know its hard to rate tranny's but I do know that mine feels 100% different, and alot stronger. I had an 8000 lb boat hooked to it and it pulled it like it was nothing. Before it would shift strange and what not.

i just got off the phone with them, he told me to get the 4l65e stage 5? are they a pretty good company? it was $2,600 with shipping and tax plus the core

My FLT Level 7 65E has taken a regular beating and has gone 10.86 @ 128. Their product is comes highly rated :thumbs:

Tell Andy that Kevin sent ya and ask for the Kevin Rambo 65E special :takealook:

$3600 is pure B.S. :icon_bs:

We just built a fully-prepped 4L65 with:

- billet input shaft

- billet output shaft

- H2 reaction carrier and planetary (higher strength)

- reinforced input drum

- premium friction materials, steels, carbon band

- beast shell

- new servos

- completely blueprinted and re-engineered valvebody

- high-output pump

- etc, etc, etc, etc

In-short, everything anybody can think of to do with a 4L65 and the cost out the door was $2750, the breakdown of that was $2200 in parts and $550 in labor, the customer provided his own core or else it would have been another $250-275 for a buildable core. We were also able to provide a TCS-2800 converter for an additional $750.

Shop elsewhere.

Mr. P. :)

P.S. - I will add one more thought here, and that is this: in my experience (and that of many other truck owners) 4L60's are very unforgiving of mistakes in their builds, and there are only a handful of persons in the country that have mastered these transmissions for extreme duty and still make them live. I doubt TCI is one of those shops.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Answering your question "What do I do" - you lay out what level of service (a.k.a. kind of power adders) the truck will be expected to provide, and pick your "hard parts" accordingly. In our efforts, we assemble all our 4L60's the same, the only difference is whether we substitute billet internals - the 'core' 4L65 is the same. For a N/A 6.0L truck that is running mid-13s at the track our experience is that they don't need billet shafts (although upgrading to them is always nice); for a supercharged truck running mid-12s we will recommend a billet output shaft and possibly a billet input (budget willing) but we have a record of lots of Radix trucks doing just fine with only a billet output shaft; for an all-out effort expected to provide 'competitive power' then almost everything in the trans except the drum is replaced with parts cut from 300M tool steel! But the base build (friction stackup/setup, hydraulic/servo/valvebody setup) is the same across all the units we build.

Different power adders will seriously change reliability of the transmissions - nitrous is really hard on transmission hard parts, so is the immediate boost of a hot turbo setup or positive displacement (TVS, Radix) combo. N/A and centrifugals don't 'hit' as hard off the line, they are a little more forgiving on hard parts (and drivetrain for that matter). Converter choice (stall speed and more importantly stall ratio) are factors too.

So what kind of powertrain build are you intending to run? How hard are you intending to launch? How fast are you intending to go? What kind of converter are you wanting to run?

Mr. P.

Since youre a TX resident,use Century Transmission and dont look back!!! http://www.centurytransmission.com/

While the 4l65s arent the best transmission for high hp,a competent builder can get them to live in higher HP apps.

Personally,I think Buick Grand National trans builders are the best choice for 4l60/4l65/700r4 builds because they have made a "low performance" 2004r trans a unit that will hold 9's in a full weight 3500+ lb car.GN trans builders were the 1st to get an overdrive automatic trans to live and have been doing it almost 25 years now.Mike Kurtz@Century was 1 of the 1st 2004r builders that could get them to live and just glancing at his site,I also see he has 6l80's living in the high 10s-low 9 second range.

I paid around $2000 shipped for my 4l65 and I have a billet output shaft http://www.extremeau...ions/4l60e.html Theyre a GN trans builder too!!lol

Edited by broke1 (see edit history)

My FLT Level 7 65E has taken a regular beating and has gone 10.86 @ 128. Their product is comes highly rated :thumbs:

Tell Andy that Kevin sent ya and ask for the Kevin Rambo 65E special :takealook:

no....tell Andy i sent you to em.

My FLT level 7 has been good for a year running mid 12's on a 4500 launch. Granted its not 10.86(which i have not seen a thread for yet) but the guys at FLT are great to deal with, A+ customer service.

i personally wouldn't got with a TCI i went though 2 of them with in 6k miles. not saying they wont last but with how i drive and with boost it just didn't seem to last for me. plus i dished out $3800 each time. ive heard nothing but good things about FLT. if or when i toast the 4L80 thats in my truck now im going with FLT level 5 4l80. good luck with whatever you choose.