The Official L.E.D. How To Guide

idahoBLKss

• 2 weeks later...

So in addition to Jons original post of how to's, here is the stock radio how to.

start by taking out the stereo, gently pulling off the power button and the tune button, removing the faceplate from the whole radio. after you have the faceplate off, flip it over and take out these four little guys.

IMG_20120202_142200-picsay.jpg

take the circuit board out how it is sitting with the face down, otherwise all your buttons will fall out and you dont want that lol. after you get the circuit board off it will look like this.

IMG_20120201_205237-1.jpg

then you want to remove the audio button, gently pull it will pop off then take the clear plastic ring off followed by the cushin.

IMG_20120201_205313.jpg

take off the rubber cover

IMG_20120201_205402-1.jpg

and the blue condoms if youd like

IMG_20120201_205609-1.jpg

IMG_20120201_205609-1.jpg

then i took the resistors and bent one side over and snipped almost all of it off, then took the led and cut the positive leg down to almost nothin.

IMG_20120202_113221.jpg

IMG_20120202_113226.jpg

then i soldered them together to make them like this

IMG_20120202_113251.jpg

IMG_20120202_130058.jpg

then desolder one bulb at a time and solder then new ones in.

IMG_20120202_115036.jpg

sorry i forgot to take a pic of the circuit board with my positive marks so i marked the rubber and took pics. positive is the side marked with a line

IMG_20120202_140802.jpg

IMG_20120202_140810.jpg

IMG_20120202_140814.jpg

IMG_20120202_140818.jpg

IMG_20120202_140821.jpg

IMG_20120202_140824.jpg

IMG_20120202_140831.jpg

make sure to keep the resistor close to the led otherwise it will hit when you puch the buttons. test the circuit board before putting it back together and make sure they all light up.

IMG_20120202_135416.jpg

this pic shows the difference with the blue condom over the stock bulbs.

IMG_20120202_140136-picsay.jpg

i did not put leds in the pwr button and the tune buttons just because it looks like it would have been a real big pita. so i got some transparent fabric for now until i can get some red gel film for them.

IMG_20120202_153108.jpg

then put it all back together and enjoy.

IMG_20120202_161617.jpg

IMG_20120202_161602.jpg

Some quick questions....

The lamp for the oil pressure gauge, which is positive? Can't see that one in any picture.

Also, the climate control, are those led from factory or do they need resisters as well. ( auto climate control/ digital)

i can answer one of your questions. the climate control does need resistors.

Anyone having any problems with lights going out? ive had some problems with the cluster and especially the steering wheel lights. They seems to flicker, and dim for a while and then eventually go out. Im getting really frustrated. Any ideas?

Edited by simz28 (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

First off Awesome instructions!!!

I'm having one problem, I did my door lock/window switch on the drivers side (haven't gotten to passengers side yet) and the leds stay lit after the conversion Ive tried the dimmer switch to see if it was that and it wasn't, I can leave the truck for hours (off) and they stay on the only time i can get them to turn off is to unplug the lock switch they also don't dim like the rest of the truck any ideas?

Anyone having any problems with lights going out? ive had some problems with the cluster and especially the steering wheel lights. They seems to flicker, and dim for a while and then eventually go out. Im getting really frustrated. Any ideas?

some leds i have noticed over the years go out. must be they are getting more power then others . try using a slightly bigger resistor.

First off Awesome instructions!!!

I'm having one problem, I did my door lock/window switch on the drivers side (haven't gotten to passengers side yet) and the leds stay lit after the conversion Ive tried the dimmer switch to see if it was that and it wasn't, I can leave the truck for hours (off) and they stay on the only time i can get them to turn off is to unplug the lock switch they also don't dim like the rest of the truck any ideas?

sounds like you crossed a circuit.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2006 Silverado, and I just finished my drivers side door/window lock switch and everything is working however the led for the window switches is placed right in the middle of the four switches and does not light them up nearly as bright as the others. Any ideas as to what i can do to distribute the light evenly to all four switches so they all look uniformly bright?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know anybody in the LA area who might be able to tackle a job like this? I have called a few stereo shops but no luck. Maybe a member might want to do this for some cash? I don't mind taking my truck apart and shipping the items out. After just recently changing my interior lights to l.e.d. (highly recommend) I would love for the rest of the interior to match.

Edited by bagged7104ss (see edit history)