Getting Upset Now!(E-Fan Crap)

DBTKDT

Ok, can someone answer some questions for me? I have an 03 silverado 1500 hd. It has the LQ4 and I put 05 oem e-fans in it about 3 months ago. I have a Wheatley tune and the fans are programmed in now like factory. I have the Black Bear dual pin harness installed. Should the harness turn on both fans on low when the pcm calls for them to turn on or one fan on high? Oem is both fans on low. How is it supposed to work with that harness? I was told it performed just like oem and it isn't. The one fan on high is loud. Also my fans stopped working and I moved the relays around and cleaned them up and they work again? Three months and the were crudded up some already? I put new relays in today thinking I had a bad one and same thing with all new relays? I just want the fans to operate like oem? Is it setting in the pcm or is the harness messed up? Any thoughts would be helpful. Thank you!

Ok, can someone answer some questions for me? I have an 03 silverado 1500 hd. It has the LQ4 and I put 05 oem e-fans in it about 3 months ago. I have a Wheatley tune and the fans are programmed in now like factory. I have the Black Bear dual pin harness installed. Should the harness turn on both fans on low when the pcm calls for them to turn on or one fan on high? Oem is both fans on low. How is it supposed to work with that harness? I was told it performed just like oem and it isn't. The one fan on high is loud. Also my fans stopped working and I moved the relays around and cleaned them up and they work again? Three months and the were crudded up some already? I put new relays in today thinking I had a bad one and same thing with all new relays? I just want the fans to operate like oem? Is it setting in the pcm or is the harness messed up? Any thoughts would be helpful. Thank you!

Without looking at the tune file there is no way of telling what is truly going on. I would guess it is the harness, but again that is just that... a guess. Where are the relays mounted?

Without looking at the tune file there is no way of telling what is truly going on. I would guess it is the harness, but again that is just that... a guess. Where are the relays mounted?

The relays are under the hood connected to the fan harness. I have a buddy that can view what the pcm is calling for when the fans go on, that would let me know right away.

I have not seen the Blackbear harness, I have no idea how it is designed to operate, so I cannot speak to its function. But you are right, when you have a two-fan setup BOTH fans MUST run at the same time at the same speed, or else you will not get effective cooling; think of it this way, when you have one fan on high speed and the other not running then that is the same as a fan running with a 16" hole in the fan shroud - the air will not be pulled through the radiator, but rather from behind the radiator (through the 'open' hole). When you have a fan shroud with 2 fans, you have to make both run at the same time.

Also, you can test your efans "manually" (with the engine/truck off) by grounding the green wire (fans should come on low speed) and then grounding both wires together (fans should both operate on high speed).

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)