Front Awd Axle Bearing(S) Question

I've been searching the forums on front diff rebuilds and they all involved the removal of the front diff to be "split" and rebuilt. When I updated my brakes to the 05+ brakes I noticed the drivers side diff side axle bearing had a little play, maybe 1/4-1/2". I was telling a mechanic at work about it and he asked if the seal leaking, because sometimes there is a little play there. On Friday I was "under there" changing my oil and saw a little sweat around that seal unsure.gif and it needed a few pumps of fluid. When I'm "working" it's usually bloody like 6-7 days a week, 8-15 hour shifts and in the Spring I have a little "break" so I'd like to catch up on my trucks service so it doesn't break down or have a issue at the worse time. Can these bearings be replaced without the front diff removal? Or does it involve it being removed? Where is a good place to get the bearings or rebuild kit? I have no problem spending a few extra bucks for the right stuff. I went cheap on U joints with my F350 that was modded and less than 2 years later the same U joints had play. Thanks silveradoss.com

-Paul

Your best bet (if you cant do it yourself) is to take it to the dealer and have them split the diff and install FACTORY parts. Ive seen too many people at the dealer I used to work at opt out of the factory parts and go aftermarket and complain that it didnt last long.

You CAN replace the bearings without splitting the case.... But it is NOT the correct way to do it. :cheers:

I think I can handle it myself, do you know the model # of our front diff's? So I can perhaps get a hold of Eaton or whoever and get a rebuild kit?

thanks for the quick reply btw