How Much Horsepower Am I Making?

Silverad0 SS

i was wonder how much horsepower im gonna make when i get my lt's and a tune. so im wondering if any one has done the same mods as me and know how much horsepower they were making.

2004 SS,k&n cai, dynomax 3inch inlet/outlet 7inch straight through oval muffler, dynatech longtube headers with hi-flow cats, cowl hood (thats atleast plus 30 hp) electric fans,and wheatley tune.

i know its kinda hard to guess, or compare, i was just curious lol i would love to know exact but dont wanna pay 500 dollars for dyno

Edited by Silverad0 SS (see edit history)

hood doesnt add ANY hp. it just allows hot air to escape IF its functional. with lts, and a free flowing exhaust, cai, tune, probably around 390 or so to the flywheel. so probably right at 300 to the wheels.

My truck has Dynatech LT's w/gutted cats, GMPP/Magnaflow cat-back, K&N CAI, 160* t-stat, NGK plugs/Taylor wires, 10.5" 3000 stall PI converter, Wheatley tune, and made the following before my cam swap.....

329rwhp/364rwtq

....and factoring in parasitic power loss through the drivetrain for RWD(18%), at the time she was making approximately the following off the motor....

401bhp/443ft lbs

Hopefully that will help give you an idea of where you are power wise. :cheers:

My truck has Dynatech LT's w/gutted cats, GMPP/Magnaflow cat-back, K&N CAI, 160* t-stat, NGK plugs/Taylor wires, 10.5" 3000 stall PI converter, Wheatley tune, and made the following before my cam swap.....

329rwhp/364rwtq

....and factoring in parasitic power loss through the drivetrain for RWD(18%), at the time she was making approximately the following off the motor....

401bhp/443ft lbs

Hopefully that will help give you an idea of where you are power wise. :cheers:

ok cool deal, thank you sir

I have similar mods, and based off of some simple calculations I figured about 380-390 hp at the flywheel and around 300-320 hp at the wheels At Sea Level

Since your around sea level I would say thats about how much HP you will have.

Now Im at over 4,000ft so Im looking around 320 Hp at the flywheel and maybe 280 at the wheels

I have similar mods, and based off of some simple calculations I figured about 380-390 hp at the flywheel and around 300-320 hp at the wheels At Sea Level

Since your around sea level I would say thats about how much HP you will have.

Now Im at over 4,000ft so Im looking around 320 Hp at the flywheel and maybe 280 at the wheels

lol where i live is below sea level lol but ok cool deal man thank you

yea greg havent u heard? they force cold air in backwards :crackup:

Actually Bob, they do force cold air in backwards. Have you ever seen a 60's El Camino SS and its "Cowl Induction" hood, what about the Chevelle's. There is a low pressure pocket at the base of the windshield that provides a nice dense charge of air, and if used properly will add more power than a ram air style hood.

Example....

ci_1.jpg

Actually Bob, they do force cold air in backwards. Have you ever seen a 60's El Camino SS and its "Cowl Induction" hood, what about the Chevelle's. There is a low pressure pocket at the base of the windshield that provides a nice dense charge of air, and if used properly will add more power than a ram air style hood.

Example....

ci_1.jpg

that has a completely different hood though ray, it has that little catch guard at the back of the cowl that lets air in. u have the same hood as the guy im guessing but it only COOLS the motor, not forcing any air into the intake as i know ur aware of.

You are right Bob, the hood is only good if you make it functional, other wise its just an asthetic piece. I was just saying that it is possible to make them work and provide gains. The flapper door on the 60's cars where a gimmic to enhance what was already happening, and if I could get it for my truck, I would use it, even though I can not take advantage of the low pressure air infront of the cowl.