Coolant Leak

luke3645

My 03' SS has been slowly loosing antifreeze for the past couple of months and I can't seem to figure out where it's going. It's getting up there on miles with 133,000 or so and I'm wondering if its a water pump, radiator, etc. I never see coolant on any areas of the engine compartment but will smell it every now and then. I need to add about a half gallon about every couple of months. Has anyone had similar problems with the SS or the LQ9 engines? Are there any common issues such as head or intake gaskets? I'd like to get this figured out, prior to a major catastrophe. Does anyone have any suggestions or similar experiences. There's no smell in the drivers compartment and no steaming of the windows with the defroster so I'm pretty confident its not the heater core.

I picked up some UV coolant dye to add to the system to see if I can find it that way. I'm a little reluctant to pressure test the system and inadvertently cause a weak link to turn into a complete failure that I don't have the time to fix right now. Hopefully this works. It glows pretty good in the bottle. If it glows just as good where the leak is, should be no problem to find.