Ufc 129

hottelboy

Couture hangs it up now after 14+ years in the UFC and at 47 years old, who could blame him? That straight kick by Machida was sick. One of the best knockouts I've seen in quite some time.

Hominick gave Aldo all he really wanted and I hope they let these two fight again in the future. Hominick's cuts under his left eye were wicked and that swelling on his head almost became another head... either way, Aldo looked very tired after round 2 and beatable.

The main event was very weak imo as yes it went the whole 5, but it was actually fairly boring. Neither GSP or Shields are known as tremendous strikers but yet the entire 5 rounds were the two of them standing toe to toe and basically boxing. Shields is supposed to be the best of the best at this weight in wrestling/grappling and jiu-jitsu and yet he rarely made any spirited attempt to take GSP down or wrestle with him at all. Haven't heard anything new on GSP's eye, but he was obviously very bothered by it - if he is able to see clearly what he was punching at, I would not have been surprised to see him knock Shields out.

GSP definitely has nothing left to prove at 170. BJ Penn made the attempt to move up after having nothing left to prove @ 155 to see how he could compete with GSP @ 170 - he failed miserably, but I respected him for giving it a chance. Anderson Silva has not been challenged all that much at 185 and has moved up to 205 (Irvin and Forrest Griffin) and had tremendous results but vows he will not chase the the belt @ 205 due to his relationship/friendship with Machida. It really only makes sense for the UFC to really chase this fight between GSP and the Spider because AS is not getting any younger (36) and has discussed retirement in the past.

All in all, it was a very good card, even with a subpar main event.

Couture hangs it up now after 14+ years in the UFC and at 47 years old, who could blame him? That straight kick by Machida was sick. One of the best knockouts I've seen in quite some time.

Hominick gave Aldo all he really wanted and I hope they let these two fight again in the future. Hominick's cuts under his left eye were wicked and that swelling on his head almost became another head... either way, Aldo looked very tired after round 2 and beatable.

The main event was very weak imo as yes it went the whole 5, but it was actually fairly boring. Neither GSP or Shields are known as tremendous strikers but yet the entire 5 rounds were the two of them standing toe to toe and basically boxing. Shields is supposed to be the best of the best at this weight in wrestling/grappling and jiu-jitsu and yet he rarely made any spirited attempt to take GSP down or wrestle with him at all. Haven't heard anything new on GSP's eye, but he was obviously very bothered by it - if he is able to see clearly what he was punching at, I would not have been surprised to see him knock Shields out.

GSP definitely has nothing left to prove at 170. BJ Penn made the attempt to move up after having nothing left to prove @ 155 to see how he could compete with GSP @ 170 - he failed miserably, but I respected him for giving it a chance. Anderson Silva has not been challenged all that much at 185 and has moved up to 205 (Irvin and Forrest Griffin) and had tremendous results but vows he will not chase the the belt @ 205 due to his relationship/friendship with Machida. It really only makes sense for the UFC to really chase this fight between GSP and the Spider because AS is not getting any younger (36) and has discussed retirement in the past.

All in all, it was a very good card, even with a subpar main event.

Completly agreed except, Machida no longer has the belt and Jon "bones" Jones has tremendous talent! I would love to see Jones vs AS, I dont ever doubt AS however I believe Jones style would have AS in real trouble. GSP vs AS would be over rated im afraid neither are finishers.

Completly agreed except, Machida no longer has the belt and Jon "bones" Jones has tremendous talent! I would love to see Jones vs AS, I dont ever doubt AS however I believe Jones style would have AS in real trouble. GSP vs AS would be over rated im afraid neither are finishers.

Jones would definitely give AS tons of trouble, he is basically a younger, fresher version of the Spider. Plus although AS is regarded as the best pound for pound fighter, 185 is extremely weak (actually almost the same can be said for 170) and we can all see the toughest class is the 205. Does AS really want to put himself in that position at this stage of his career to have to work through all the talent at 205? My guess is not. Sure he may consider jumping up and taking a fight or two, but I really don't see him making a true run at the belt.

GSP and AS could be overrated, but it would be an unbelievable card for the UFC to promote. Lets be honest, it wouldn't be a big deal for GSP to move up as his normal carrying weight is around 190-192. I truthfully just have a hard time seeing either one of them commit as it would tarnish their legacy and it really does seem they are both scared of that.

the card was alright..but the GSP v. Shileds fight lived up to what i expected..Shields was undefeted for 6 years but i have yet to see im wow me...he beat Hendo by take downs and laying on him...all in all the card wasnt too bad