Subwoofer/Box Help

This isn't for my SS, but I thought somebody on here might be able to help me.. I've got a friend that will sell me 2 JL Audio W3 12" subs for a pretty good price. The boxes I can get for my truck are a box for 2, with .55 cu ft per chamber, or a box for one with .69. I also read that the optimal air space would be 1.125-1.250 cu ft air space. What would be the best way to go? I've heard the second sub only adds like 30% to the whole bass, and for some reason I'm thinking the added airspace of the first if I just went with a single would almost even that out, and plus I would have some room left under my seat to put stuff. I've heard these subs before and they pound hard with a clear sound if set up right and I want to do it right. Also, what would be a good, not too costly amp to go with for one or for two subs?

If your gonna put 12's under the seat, then your running into problems.

I would recommend to build a full size custom box with one sub, that way your running the proper airspace.

But custom boxes can get expensive. So then your not saving any money on buying used subs(my shop would charge about $700 for that box)

What you really need is 10's, they need about half the airspace as a 12, and they're only about 30% smaller. So they're alot more efficient for the amount of space they use

I don't know where you heard that 2 subs is only 30% louder then 1. From what i know, 2 subs in the same box is more then twice as loud as one.

Also a 12w3 is also about 6 1/2" deep, so I don't think you'll find a pre-fab box that they will fit in anyways.

If you want good bass, get a couple 10's, and put them in a down-firing box(preferably custom).

If you want to save money and use a pre-fab box, don't go buying subs and then trying to find a box that fits. Get the box that fits the truck, and test fit the subs in the box before you buy them.

Edited by paulguy (see edit history)

Well it's for an '06 Dodge.. There are boxes that it should fit into. Don't think there are really any down firing set-ups on these trucks. It sounds like it would be a good idea to go with 10s then.

for those dodges if its a quad cab you guys have that compartment under the seat , you can get somebody to make you a fiberglass cover or a wood one and you have a sealed box wit two subs, my buddy who works at an audio shop did this, or you could replace the back seat with two buckets and do a sub box inbetween . lots of options. im running a 1000 memphis amp i believe powering my two 12" w3's, there not to pricey but dont skimp out on the amp. look at sonicelectronix.com they have good prices and are legit

Edited by 03silv.ss (see edit history)