Sts Turbo!

just got off the phone with freddy, at STS trubo its gonna be 4 grand no intercooler though. im gonna be making 6lbs of boost he said, wasnt hoping to spend that much, i was planning on spending three grand with an intercooler, but it didnt work out. i told him i wanted to put 500 hp to the ground and my total came out to be 6700 dollars with air/meth intercooler so i said okay we gotta go down some lol so im gonna get this lil start off kit and eventually add bigger turbo and intercooler. i said i wanted a air to air intercooler and he instited i get air to methanol one, i guess to get full potetentional??? any way with this 4 grand kit no intercooler 6lbs boost he said i can get in my truck and drive 20 hours and have no problems, so it sounded good to me because thats what i wanted.

This is one of those instances where you will spend the money and hate the end result.... Then more trash talking will beging on how horrible the STS kit is. IMHO, Save your pennies until you can do a full kit. I woldn't push their beginner turbo (t-60 I assume) past 5# with out an intercooler. The upgraded turbo (GT67 or GT70) would be good to about 7-8# without an intercooler. I would also not rely on a Meth intercooler system on something that is going to be driven 20+ hours unless you never plan on going into boost.

Edited by chpspecial (see edit history)

i believe we talked about the gt67 because i told him its gonna be a DD and i said i wanted something safe on the motor, so i could be crusing on 5psi and hit the switch and be pushing 7-8psi w/o an intercooler? or it always be at 7/8psi?

You need a boost controller to be able to flip a switch and get more boost... boost will depend on what spring they send you for your wastegate, anything over that will depend on the boost controller

You need to do alot more research on not only the STS kit, but everything involved with forced induction.

Does this kit include any fueling upgrades? Is it their low end oil pump that comes with the kit? Do you have any other mods done to the drivetrain? There are pros and cons with the STS kit, and price shouldn't be the main thing to look at. You can easily end up adding 2k to the final price on just turbo upgrades and the intercooler and fuel system etc.

For reliability, I have heard of alot of oil pumps going out o n the STS kits, or rear mounts in general. If that happens your turbo is gonna be in bad shape....... Double your budget when you are planning on a turbo.

Cancel that order and get my STS kit instead. You can save 1K even with an upgraded T-70 MP turbo.

I have a brand new STS kit I could sell you if you are interested. Will let it go for $2200 without the turbo. You can pick up a Master Power turbo for $500. I do have the turbo that came in the kit but I upgraded it from the 60-1 to the GT-76 so it is probably too big for your application. I have it for sale by itself for $1200 on PT. The kit I have is for the reg cab but I have an extra pipe to make it fit yours.

I say save your money and wait until you can afford a full new kit or a full used kit. Boost on an SS isnt something you want to cut corners on. Who are yo having tune your truck for boost? Have you built your tranny because you will definitley need that. I also wouldnt run it with out an intercooler that seems a little on the dangerous side. Keep in mind that once you start boosting you will most likley start breaking things, its not really just a bolt on and go deal and if the guy at STS tells you that its just a bolt on and go and you can drive 20 hours no problem with out an intercooler and only run 6 pounds of boost then its not going to be a very exciting set up and probably not worth spending that much money on a small starter kit. Buying a used set up isnt a bad idea you could also look into that. But once you start boosting you start spending alot of money, and you really dont want to cut corners on boosting an SS especially as far as tuning goes since the LQ9 is not a motor really too designed for boost unless the tuning is spot on, so pretty much if you cut corners and try to do it the cheap way your truck will be parked broken more than anything. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

:withstupid:

So your kit comes with a fuel pump booster, or new fuel pump and injectors too? Also I have heard that their basic oil pump is a frequent part to go bad, and in return kills the turbo if you aren't paying attention.

Like mentioned above if you don't have a built trans or it don't have any mods, count on replacing it. And with no intercooler in the Texas heat, your not going to be happy with the results and can easily do more harm than good. The tune will have to be right on in this case. Do you have a wideband to monitor the AFR?

IMO you can't beat SRT's deal.You can drop some big hay on turbos to get everything right.Doing the fuel system is absolutely critical.I don't like BAPs but they do work.I have a friend who makes 720 RWHP with a stock Z06 pump and a BAP.Amazing, I know.When you shop for injectors go bigger then you need.It can all be worked out in the tune and later when you upgrade to a larger turbo/turbos you will not need to buy bigger injectors.I'm a little confused on your choices between air to air and air to meth intercoolers.Meth is injected into the motor and has nothing to do with the intercooler even though it has the same effect by cooling the mixture.Don't be nervous about meth injection.It works amazing and there are 1000s of guys running meth on the street and track.I would probably start with an intercooler and get meth when you can afford it.Forget about a boost controller until you get an intercooler and meth.One mistake in overboosting will cost you head gaskets or even a motor!The 6.0 motor is a good start for boosting.The iron block is very strong and the stock crank can handle 900+HP.I'm not sure if the stock heads are 72CC or not.If not adding 317 heads and a thicker head gasket will allow you more boost and a safer setup.Turbos and blowers work great but you really need to keep an eye on things.A fuel pressure gauge,AFR gauge and boost gauge are a must.As far as the oil pump goes it is a scavenge pump that sends oil back to the motor from the turbos.The STS pump has a bad rep for failing and most guys upgrade to a better quality pump.If the pump goes the oil will back up into the turbos and you will get a cloud of smoke behind you.It shouldn't hurt the turbo as long as you get towed back.I'm not sure what jets you would get with the kit.The only place I could see a jet going would be the oil feed line but most kits are not adjustable in that area.Try not to get into boost when the motor is hot.A switch to Efans would be a good idea.Listen to STS on your turbo choice.With a 5000+# truck and a streetable convertor your turbo choice will be more critical then lighter cars.Bigger is not always better.

I've been a turbo guy for 25 years.If you have all the money then that is the way to go but I have to admit that a blower is the way to go if you are counting your pennies.You really need to be honest with yourself and decide whether you can afford it or not.If you blow the motor and your truck is down you need to decide if you will be able to afford to fix it.Here is some good reading even if you don't plan on building your own system.

http://www.junkyardturbos.com/

Good luck.