Selling Truck For Gto?

Well I`ve alredy basically decided on selling my truck. Yes it sucks but it cost me 20$ to go back and forth to school and if I need to go anywhere thats just more money. Plus my drive next year to college will be even longer. Well just asking if any one has experience with GTO`s, the bang for the buck is insane and very nice quality, plus T-56 6 speed, and o yeah just 400 hppeelout.gif(tips the scale a little bit). all this and you get 25 MPGS stock and with a few mods and tune some guys getting 28 on criuse which is great. please post any opions thanks guysdbanana.gif

They're fun cars. Heavy but fun. Tranny is good but the suspension SUCKS BALLS. I was going to do the same thing but bought my ws6 because it doesnt have the problems the goats have. They're nice cars don't get me wring but a few ppl on here have seen catastrophic failure with the factory suspension on a completely stock car. If u can get a deal on one go for it but be prepared to spend 6-800 on suspension right away.

Oh and this is also a traction whore and they are known to have MAJOR wheel hop.

You could probably find a C5 Corvette for close to the price of a GTO... at least that's how it was around here when I was contemplating buying another 'toy' that got better gas mileage. But then I scored a free VW Jetta (ya, i know....) from my neighbor but it was $50 to fill yesterday and I will get 400+ miles out of that tank. The SS mostly just sits now... shakehead.gif

I remember a review (car and driver, maybe?) Where they took the Vette, GTO Mustang Cobra, SRT8 Charger/Challenger and the Camaro, CTS-V and pitted them all against each other. The GTO miserably lost to everything. As previously stated, the suspension was, in part, to blame. Yep, it has the power but if you can't get the power through the car and to the road, its useless. The corvette is build to compliment the motor and the motor is built to compliment the body. The C5 was engineered from the ground up to have every system of the car work together with each other. GM didn't just slap parts off the shelf together.

I remember a review (car and driver, maybe?) Where they took the Vette, GTO Mustang Cobra, SRT8 Charger/Challenger and the Camaro, CTS-V and pitted them all against each other. The GTO miserably lost to everything. As previously stated, the suspension was, in part, to blame. Yep, it has the power but if you can't get the power through the car and to the road, its useless. The corvette is build to compliment the motor and the motor is built to compliment the body. The C5 was engineered from the ground up to have every system of the car work together with each other. GM didn't just slap parts off the shelf together.

Every car on that list was 10k more than the gto new. So that doesn't help much. But I know why you posted thanks. Well I will have about 18 grand when I sell the truck with cash. The only problem with the vette is there hard to find sometime with good miles. Plus I'm. 17 and need a back seat. Plus replacemnt parts for them are crazy along with after market. Plus you just have the 'corvette' stigma that you have to be the fastest car ever made. Same goes for the V I love them but very hard to find plus have the same engine as gto but a way slower. Rustangs can suck my balls all day and ill never own one of those shit boxes. And I LOVE ws6 there actually my favorite modded car by far. But not the fastest cars out of the box and pretty common cars as well. I know I'm asking for a lot but its hard to decide on a 'performance' car any options would be appriciaed. Thanks guys

Every car on that list was 10k more than the gto new. So that doesn't help much. But I know why you posted thanks. Well I will have about 18 grand when I sell the truck with cash. The only problem with the vette is there hard to find sometime with good miles. Plus I'm. 17 and need a back seat. Plus replacemnt parts for them are crazy along with after market. Plus you just have the 'corvette' stigma that you have to be the fastest car ever made. Same goes for the V I love them but very hard to find plus have the same engine as gto but a way slower. Rustangs can suck my balls all day and ill never own one of those shit boxes. And I LOVE ws6 there actually my favorite modded car by far. But not the fastest cars out of the box and pretty common cars as well. I know I'm asking for a lot but its hard to decide on a 'performance' car any options would be appriciaed. Thanks guys

For that price you should be able to find a low mile C5 or higher mile C5Z06. I only paid $21,500 for my C5Z06. Better deals out there but I had to have blue. Now if you really need the extra seats, then a CTS-V is better than the GTO. Can be fast and they look good doing it. Sweet cars for sure. I'd probably just buy an older Camaro SS or WS6. Both with the LS1 can be pretty fast and get good MPG. Plus you could get a decent one for way less than $18K. Spend less and mod or just put the extra cash in the bank for parties and whores lol

I'm not trying to deter you from buying a GTO, I am sure they are great car and I even looked at them myself but then I did some research and decided against the GTO. You mentioned that the GTO was 10k less then all the cars they compared it against, well, The GTO has the same powertrain but cost 10k less than its GM counterparts (Corvette being the exception as it was more expensive). Same powertrain and same power numbers but less money and less performance means GM skimped in other areas to keep costs down. The GTO's body/chasis is basically a modified fwd Cadillac Caterra that they made into a 2-dr and put the LS2 motor in. Sure, the LS2 is stufed into that platform but that doesn't mean its supposed to be there. There is a reason it was cheaper and only around for 3 years. One thing I do have to give to the GTO is the rear seats... they look pretty awesome and comfy too.

My suggestion, find a GTO, drive it. Then Find a Vette and drive that... you will see what I mean about a Vette being engineered where a GTO is slapped together. After driving my first Vette (04 Millennium Yellow) I know what the Vette stigma is all about and I am a believer... now I just gotta get one! I only wish they made the C5 in Victory Red to match my SSS. That would just be evil... reddevil.gif

Did not read the other posts. Came here to say I bought my SSS new in 03, traded it for a new off the transport Abyss GTO m6 in 04. Had it about two months and traded it back in for my SSS. The truck will never leave my side again. Was the GTO fast? check. Agile? Check. Can it do any type of work? No.

[i'd probably just buy an older Camaro SS or WS6. Both with the LS1 can be pretty fast and get good MPG. Plus you could get a decent one for way less than $18K. Spend less and mod or just put the extra cash in the bank for parties and whores lol

hmmm I do love parties and whores. I mean who doesn't. I always looked at the ws6 like I said there my favorite car when modded and just look sick even stock but there interiors are just complete garbage that turns me off a little, and the c5 theres a good 20k plateu for the c5`s just a lot of c4`s plus I dont know if I want a Vette just yet thats more of my life crisis and im only 17 so that can wait plus no backseat will rip me a new one on insurance thats why 350z is out as well. any more ideas?

you will have more problems with a GTO than you could ever imagine. I have plenty of exp. working on them and they are piles of shit. suspension is junk. they have multiple wiring gremlins. the transmission isn't all that great (same shiity stuff that was inside the f-body cars). the IRS is a joke...even the LS2 is weak in a car that heavy. I would say out of all the above mentioned options your truck is still the best bet for service records except a C5 with very low miles.

,,,, and you think the interior in the f-body cars is bad.... try a GTO... I'd rather take a cattle prod in the nuts.

Edited by Sprayed99 (see edit history)

So Let Me Get this straight, your 17 still in high school and you have a Silverado SS owned outright?

Your spending $20 on gas, are you talking per day?

Lets say your truck gets only 12mpg that would mean at $4.25 a gallon that is about a 57 mile round trip. This is just example numbers IDK what kind of Mileage your truck gets or how much gas is in Ohio.

Trading in a vehicle to get one that gets better mileage is not always the best idea, unless it is a significant change in MPG (like going from a 10mpg truck to a 45mpg Hybrid). If your biggest reasoning behind getting rid of your SS is because of Mileage, then get yourself a used civic that gets up to 40 MPGs, a GTO is not the car to do it. It claims 25mpg but I bet you will have a hard time keeping your foot out of it.

Lets say to put 20k miles on your truck every year: at 15 MPG (should be possible with a mixture of City and Highway) and gas at $4.50 a gallon you will spend: $6000 on gas.

If you put 20k on the GTO: at 25mpg (very conservative estimate), and gas at $4.50 you will spend $3600 on gas

I know a savings of $2,400 a year sound like a lot, but if the GTO cost you more than $2400 over what you will get for your truck, or if you have to spend $2400 out of your own pocket, you loose and you actually don’t save any money buy buying the GTO

Now that being said, if you want a GTO then get a GTO, just make sure you think about it heavily first. These are just my 2 cents

Sorry about the long post but, I have had to give myself this same speech over and over again trying to convince myself that I don’t need to sell my truck