Electric Cut Outs. Exhaust Leak?

Ruben525

Im looking into getting an electric cut out for my ss but I hear that alot of people have problems with them leaking. Do all of them leak or is there something that wont leak? I just don't wanna get it then end up with a leak I hate they way exhaust leaks sound.

Im looking into getting an electric cut out for my ss but I hear that alot of people have problems with them leaking. Do all of them leak or is there something that wont leak? I just don't wanna get it then end up with a leak I hate they way exhaust leaks sound.

i am wondering the same thing hopefully someone will chime in

It is true some of the cheaper electric cutouts do leak because the motor can't hold it shut or isn't strong enough for the back-pressure of the exhaust on these trucks, the ones I've had experience with leaking are badlanzhpe ones that are sold on ebay don't get those. I have a DMH cutout on my 69 and its awesome and does not leak. pepsicheer.gif

dougs cutouts are the ones i have used and mine do not leak after 4-5 years of using and using them .

they are all astainless with a different style of opener. though they make them differently now and should work similar but able to fit in tighter spots . they will cost you though.

the reason the others leak is there has to be some clearance for the "butterfly" to open and getting it to seal will require some sort of gasket to rest against when they are closed. which is non existant to withstand the temps they see.

the dougs have springs and ball bearings to keep the plate sealed against the opening. which works alot better , not perfect but you will not hear them leak.

qtp's seem to leak bad cause of over torquing the motor by holding the toggle too long, and if your opening and closing them every 5 minutes thats probly not good either. i have dual qtp cutouts and theyve been on for about 5-6 months and so far so good just install them right and dont act like a 3 yr old with them. just my .02