Rear Driveshaft Question

Has anyone had a problem with their rear driveshaft with an awd ss with a 2/4 drop mines snap in half the other day but i believe because i had to much weight with me had seven people with n like 7 pieces of luggage was coming from the airport. But a week b4 that i had 3 of my boys n myself in the truck n i heard something scraping everything time i hit a bump on the hwy which i believe now it was the driveshaft scrapping. Also when i drove by myself i did not have no problems at all. With this being the case do I have to get a custom one made??? Lmk will appreciate any info

I have not had any scraping on mine, and my truck is pretty low; I have not heard of this happening to other lowered SSS trucks with a 2/4 drop either. I guess it COULD happen if the truck was *totally* bottomed-out and overloaded, but I've put WAY more weight in my truck than what you describe plus bottomed-out on bumpy roads and no driveline damage.

Did you damage the U-joints at all??

If you want a replacement driveline, contact Gasemall, he has a spare I know he wants to sell.

The factory aluminum driveline is made from very thin aluminum, it's kinda surprising they survive in the supercharged trucks to be frankly honest; aftermarket aluminum driveshafts will be made from thicker wall material and handle far more horsepower, but no driveline will survive if it is dented from frame contact.

Mr. P.

I have a few scratches on mine, probably from having over 2000 pounds of stuff in the bed with a 4" rear drop. But they're just surface scratches and nothing deep.

Where did the shaft break at and can you see any marks on the crossmember where it was hitting?

yes with my 3/4 on my truck and the 1/4 inch pancake bumpstops my truck wore a groove around the driveshaft it was rubbing on the crossmember just behind the tranny so i could see that if it rubbed enough you snapping your driveshaft

I have a few scratches on mine, probably from having over 2000 pounds of stuff in the bed with a 4" rear drop. But they're just surface scratches and nothing deep.

Where did the shaft break at and can you see any marks on the crossmember where it was hitting?

yea i can see a few scratches on the crossmember where it was rubbing

I have not had any scraping on mine, and my truck is pretty low; I have not heard of this happening to other lowered SSS trucks with a 2/4 drop either. I guess it COULD happen if the truck was *totally* bottomed-out and overloaded, but I've put WAY more weight in my truck than what you describe plus bottomed-out on bumpy roads and no driveline damage.

Did you damage the U-joints at all??

If you want a replacement driveline, contact Gasemall, he has a spare I know he wants to sell.

The factory aluminum driveline is made from very thin aluminum, it's kinda surprising they survive in the supercharged trucks to be frankly honest; aftermarket aluminum driveshafts will be made from thicker wall material and handle far more horsepower, but no driveline will survive if it is dented from frame contact.

Mr. P.

no u-joint damage thanks for the info

yes with my 3/4 on my truck and the 1/4 inch pancake bumpstops my truck wore a groove around the driveshaft it was rubbing on the crossmember just behind the tranny so i could see that if it rubbed enough you snapping your driveshaft

yea i have the same set up as u i can now see this aswell thanks

You may wanna think about helper bags so it doesnt happen again. Im guessing it either wore down really thin and sheared off or you hit it hard enough to dent it and throw it outta balance and it snapped.

Did you just visually inspect the u joints or check for play?

You may wanna think about helper bags so it doesnt happen again. Im guessing it either wore down really thin and sheared off or you hit it hard enough to dent it and throw it outta balance and it snapped.

Did you just visually inspect the u joints or check for play?

The day it happened i was hearing a real bad scrapping but only when i had extra weight on n the u-joints seem fine