Anyone Hear Of 2001 Ss Intimidator Prototype

grmanneys

The guy said that it's a 2001 GMC 1/2 ton frame and everything else is a 2006 Intimidator SS with EVERYTHING on it. I looked closely and it even has the headrests of Dale Earnhardt w/ full black leather white faced gauges in italics like they should be. He told me that a contractor to GM hand crafted this from a 2001 GMC. It's got the 6.0 AWD. Help me out please. He is asking $11,500 with 78k orig. miles and he said he is the original owner. It is a beautiful truck!!!

PLEASE HELP ME OUT! I don't know what to think on this one!!!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy said that it's a 2001 GMC 1/2 ton frame and everything else is a 2006 Intimidator SS with EVERYTHING on it. I looked closely and it even has the headrests of Dale Earnhardt w/ full black leather white faced gauges in italics like they should be. He told me that a contractor to GM hand crafted this from a 2001 GMC. It's got the 6.0 AWD. Help me out please. He is asking $11,500 with 78k orig. miles and he said he is the original owner. It is a beautiful truck!!!

PLEASE HELP ME OUT! I don't know what to think on this one!!!

Interesting...... pics?

just a 2001 gmc with all the intimidator ss stuff?

really doubt they planned the intimidator ss stuff back in 2001

Same here - the catch is the seller says he's original owner?!?!? SO he may be FOS and added that stuff himself (very easy off Fleabay)

Or ..... You know the dealers get crazy with the add on BS on new cars.... maybe they got ahold of headrests from a Monte Carlo Intimidator? Or used that pattern....

And then maybe if that sig was used in the Monte gauge cluster he had them make up a Silverado one?

A long shot but people can be creative.....

how could I determine if the motor is from an SS and not a 6.0L from an Chevy HD? I was comparing pictures of a true Intimidator SS to this one and it is exact! The wing on the tailgate, same 20" chrome SS wheels, about the same ride height and of course the intimidator emblems. I was wondering the same thing about the "original owner", "clear title" part myself. If this was a build (which he says it was) I think they did alot more than go to e-bay! Whoever did it took thier time and it appears they did it right., but who knows. If there are any other things to check to see if they cut corners, let me know. Thanks guys!

Yes, the whole gammat........ even AWD, not 4x4.... claims it is a 345 hp 6.0L which would be next to impossible to tell.

just a 2001 gmc with all the intimidator ss stuff?

really doubt they planned the intimidator ss stuff back in 2001

Yes, the whole gammat........ even AWD, not 4x4.... claims it is a 345 hp 6.0L which would be next to impossible to tell.

Since a real Intimidator SS is a 2006 model, it would not have had AWD. So that's at least a good indication that it's a clone. To really determine what it originally was, you have to decode the VIN. There's a link to a site to do that somewhere on our site. I'll try to find it.

Edit: OK here is the site... http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

Here is the post from our site... http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/61778-how-to-read-vin/page__p__704802__hl__%2Bdecode+%2Bvin__fromsearch__1#entry704802

Edit #2: I'd ask to see some receipts from all the parts that were bought and the work that was done. If I were the original owner doing all that work, I would have saved them!

Edited by Hankg42 (see edit history)

oh, so the Intimidator didn't have AWD...just 2wd? or a push button 4wd? I asked him for the build sheet but no response yet. It's a small town that I live in and it's sitting out in front of his house so at least it's not Craigslist.... I can actually see it haha.

Since a real Intimidator SS is a 2006 model, it would not have had AWD. So that's at least a good indication that it's a clone. To really determine what it originally was, you have to decode the VIN. There's a link to a site to do that somewhere on our site. I'll try to find it.

Edit: OK here is the site... http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

Here is the post from our site... http://www.silverado...__1#entry704802

Edit #2: I'd ask to see some receipts from all the parts that were bought and the work that was done. If I were the original owner doing all that work, I would have saved them!

Save yourself the hassle and just walk away from it, if you buy that thing without all the proof of what it really is you will be wondering the about its authenticity the whole time you own it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

My vote is - it's a clone. If he is the original owner, he should have some paperwork or other provenance to back-up his story. He won't, it's all BS IMO. I would be more likely to believe it's a truck that benefitted from an upgrade of parts from a stolen or wrecked ISS. All ISS trucks come with a certificate of authenticity - without the paperwork, it's just someone's old project truck. Now that's not to say it isn't nice, or that it isn't worth the asking price. But if I determined that it was a theft-recovery or a previously totalled vehicle that would better explain the situation. Since the truck is "on display" go up and write down the VIN number visible through the windshield, take it to a GM dealer and see what past information they have on the vehicle, also someone here on the forum may be able to run a carfax on it.

OH - and the orginal 2001 SS prototype (the red one made by Techstar) currently resides in the private GM heritage collection.

Mr. P.

oh, so the Intimidator didn't have AWD...just 2wd? or a push button 4wd? I asked him for the build sheet but no response yet. It's a small town that I live in and it's sitting out in front of his house so at least it's not Craigslist.... I can actually see it haha.

Only 2WD. Good luck.

CRAIG (DEISS) has the first prototype intimidator truck, it is an 03

As Craigs truck is the only Dale Earnhardt edition truck untill 2006, it is still not an intimidator. Cant remember the drivers name, but he had the "rights" to the name intimidator at the time which is why Craigs truck could not get the intimidator badging. This obviously changed in between time till 2006.

All 06 Intimidators were 2WD as well as all 06 SS trucks.

Craigs is an 03 but obviously all 03 SS trucks were AWD so his is AWD.

If any truck that is other than an 06 and has intimidator or DEI badging its a clone unless proved otherwise. I.E documentation.

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)

I just talked to the guy's wife and all she knows is that the Truck came from a dealership in Michigan. The dealership "according to her" came up with ideas for GM on project and special edition models. They bought the Truck with 30 or so K from the Dealership who again built the truck. What I need to find out is what dealership and when it was built (when they bought it). I will be talking to him around 4:00 so I'll keep you posted.