Anyone Hear Of 2001 Ss Intimidator Prototype

grmanneys

I just talked to the guy's wife and all she knows is that the Truck came from a dealership in Michigan...

Wouldn't that be funny if it was a "Zippy special" LOL. See if the dealer was Gage Chevrolet, I believe that's where Mike worked. :confused:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke with the guy tonight and he gave me the VIN, which indeed came back with 2001 GMC Sierra. Stock it had the 6.0 (non-H.O.) motor with the Heavy Duty Transmission. Now, here's the kicker.... I don't beleive that 2001 models came with AWD but this "Intimidator Clone" does. The story goes... back in late 07, this individual bought the truck off of E-Bay in Detroit MI. It was at a High Profile Ferrari or other Sportscar dealer (maybe traded in?). On the CarFax report it says that from 2001 (new) to 2007 the "2001 GMC Sierra" was a corporate owned vehicle but doesn't say what corporation. So far the story matches up to a "T". The unfortunate thing is... there is no documentation of any sort. The dealership didn't know much about the truck and neither does the current owner for that matter (he has money so he bought it). I'm going to test drive it tomorrow evening and bring it to a local GM dealer to have them check the serial numbers on the engine and tranny to see if they are stock 6.0 (325hp) or indeed the6.0 H.O.

On a side note...I had my brother, who is a huge GM "SS" guru (owns 96 Impala SS w/ 56K orig miles) and knows pretty much everything there is to know about specs and vehicles......anyhow, I had him drive by without telling him what is going on and tell me what the truck was... that I saw it while driving down the road and I didn't have time to stop. He told me everything about the "Intimidator SS" and how there were a few other things that it came with that the reg. SS didn't. The point is... it looks 100% like the real thing.

Zippy Special????

Wouldn't that be funny if it was a "Zippy special" LOL. See if the dealer was Gage Chevrolet, I believe that's where Mike worked. :confused:

i remember when gm was selling off there heritage cars there was an 01-02 silverado in there with all SS stuff on it i guess it was the concept SS dunno.gif

edit : you also have to remember in 2001 the sierra denali was just comming out. it has a 6.0 with AWD

Edited by 8hnpSS (see edit history)

I thought about that, but the Build sheet cross referenced to the VIN says it is a GMC SIERRA 1500 LS

i remember when gm was selling off there heritage cars there was an 01-02 silverado in there with all SS stuff on it i guess it was the concept SS dunno.gif

edit : you also have to remember in 2001 the sierra denali was just comming out. it has a 6.0 with AWD

I thought about that, but the Build sheet cross referenced to the VIN says it is a GMC SIERRA 1500 LS

you really should put up some pictures that would really help us help you figure this out lol

I bet $1 what you are looking at was originally a Sierra Denali truck; they were 6L and AWD, but with 3.73 gears not 4.11s. They are nice trucks. The SSI pieces were obviously added later - why is anyone's guess. The truck *might* even be a Sierra C3/Denali, and those are rare.

Zippy is one of the oldest members of the forum, and a site admin/moderator; back in the day he lived in Michigan and worked at Gage Chevrolet in the parts department, and he customized a lot of the trucks that were sold out of that particular dealership.

If the VIN of the truck starts with 2GTEK69U611, then it's [originally] a 2001 Sierra C3/Denali, and that was (and still is) regarded as a special interest luxury truck.

Mr. P.

VIN# is 2GTEK69U011 (011 NOT 611)

I just e-mailed a salesman from Gage who has been there for 17 yrs. hopefully he can point me in the right direction if "Zippy" did the build.

I bet $1 what you are looking at was originally a Sierra Denali truck; they were 6L and AWD, but with 3.73 gears not 4.11s. They are nice trucks. The SSI pieces were obviously added later - why is anyone's guess. The truck *might* even be a Sierra C3/Denali, and those are rare.

Zippy is one of the oldest members of the forum, and a site admin/moderator; back in the day he lived in Michigan and worked at Gage Chevrolet in the parts department, and he customized a lot of the trucks that were sold out of that particular dealership.

If the VIN of the truck starts with 2GTEK69U611, then it's [originally] a 2001 Sierra C3/Denali, and that was (and still is) regarded as a special interest luxury truck.

Mr. P.

VIN# is 2GTEK69U011 (011 NOT 611)

I just e-mailed a salesman from Gage who has been there for 17 yrs. hopefully he can point me in the right direction if "Zippy" did the build.

THAT'S IT!! The truck is an original 2001 Sierra C3/Denali - that one-digit discrepancy in the VIN is okay, that's the federal government "check digit" and does not have to match. It's a C3 for sure.

But why would someone have added a bunch of SSI parts to it?? Theft Recovery possibly?? Wrecked??

Still $11.5K for that truck with under 80K-miles on it is a good price, assuming it has a clean title.

Mr. P.

Clear Title:YES no accidents, theft or damage of any kind. What about the 4 wheel steer on the Denali? This doesn't have that. The SS parts = everything... the shit that this guy went through, every body panel, interior (from what I can tell is from an 06). I have to get this F-ing truck! The owner says there are 3 things that are wrong with it...1. ABS light is on 2. Fuel Guage sometimes doesn't work 3. the passenger seat equipped with with weight sensor for airbag never had the module installed. Not all that bad really

THAT'S IT!! The truck is an original 2001 Sierra C3/Denali - that one-digit discrepancy in the VIN is okay, that's the federal government "check digit" and does not have to match. It's a C3 for sure.

But why would someone have added a bunch of SSI parts to it?? Theft Recovery possibly?? Wrecked??

Still $11.5K for that truck with under 80K-miles on it is a good price, assuming it has a clean title.

Mr. P.

In 2001 the Denali came with Quadrasteer - the "C3/Denali" didn't. :thumbs: If you want to make sure, look in the glovebox at the RPO codes sticker and see if the quadrasteer option is listed there, but I doubt it will be. The quadrasteer trucks also had a massive 40-amp wiring harness running to the rear of the truck too, to operate the electricals of the system, you would expect to find evidence of that as well but my guess is the truck never came with it.

I would argue down the price, it's obviously a bastard truck meaning you are at the mercy of whoever did all the work - you may find after buying it that it has electrical gremlins or rattles or ??? Make sure you test drive it well.

Mr. P.

In 2001 the Denali came with Quadrasteer - the "C3/Denali" didn't. :thumbs: If you want to make sure, look in the glovebox at the RPO codes sticker and see if the quadrasteer option is listed there, but I doubt it will be. The quadrasteer trucks also had a massive 40-amp wiring harness running to the rear of the truck too, to operate the electricals of the system, you would expect to find evidence of that as well but my guess is the truck never came with it.

I would argue down the price, it's obviously a bastard truck meaning you are at the mercy of whoever did all the work - you may find after buying it that it has electrical gremlins or rattles or ??? Make sure you test drive it well.

Mr. P.

Thanks for the INFO!!!!

So here is what I discovered and (hypothesized): I took the truck for a drive and though in excellent cosmetic shape, there are a few issues. The main one is the front end (it is really tight and makes groaning sounds). I backed out of a driveway and it actually locked up the truck (like I put the e-brake on) and I didn't even turn the wheels much, maybe 20%. The other thing that is a huge concern is the motor (sounded nice) didn't seem to have full power. Those two things talked me out of buying it... and I didn't even make an offer. On the Carfax it does say 2001 GMC Sierra K1500 C3 but it doesn't say Denali, nor does the VIN decoder. If it is a Denali and it had AWD stock, it is in dire need of attention. If it wasn't a Denali, all they did was put it in 4wd and cut the switch (is my thought)

After looking at the vehichle closely, the frame, box, cab and more than likely the motor, tranny and everything else down there is stock. It wouldn't be that difficult of a build afterall. The front clip and hood & Ineterior (dash, seats, center console etc) is all they had to change out. I called Gage Chevrolet and a salesman thinks that they did build one there, but not out of a 01 GMC, he thinks they modded out an existing SS. He gave me the name of TJ at Baker Engineering in Spring Lake which I have a message into. We'll see where that leads. Meanwhile, I told the guy if he takes out the front diff and makes it 2wd + check on the engine lack of power, I might consider buying it

Yeah it's a C3/Denali AWD; to bind-up like that suggests either front axle and/or transfer case issues. If you have to have someone rebuild the front axle that's $1400-1600; I have no idea what the refurbish labor/parts are to do the transfer case. You might be able to tell him you'll give $9000-9500 for it, since it needs major repair and have it fixed. But I would not blame you for letting it go either. From what you share, yes I agree with you the drivetrain of the truck as well as bed and cab are most certainly original to the truck.

Mr. P. :)