Custom Rifles My Dad And I Make ....

idahoBLKss

for you guys that dont know my dad makes custom safari rifles and i have been apprenticing with him the last year and a half or so. we specialize in one off big bore rifles that are specifically designed for each customer. we do on average 6-12 guns a year ranging from 15-50+ thousand dollars each. each gun is hand crafted with turkish walnut wood and all metal work is by hand. nothing on his guns are off the shelf bought. the barrel blanks are bought then turned on our lathe to the shape we desire. sights are my dads designs and are made with a manual mill (we are in the process of having our design cnc'd to help with the turn around time). the closest thing to off the shelf on the rifle is the action. we buy rough strait out of a mold action that then get a complete over haul and then hand polished. all metel work on the gun gets hand polished up to a 300 grit sand paper . starts off with a metal file then stones then sand paper to get a flawless finish by hand with out rounding any corners.

after finishing a gun we take them out and shoot them to insure flawless feeding and that they are dead on . here is a gun that we just took out to sight in.

2011-06-16_13-25-12_445.jpg

2011-06-16_13-24-57_25.jpg

2011-06-16_13-24-41_75.jpg

2011-06-16_13-24-25_456.jpg

You should post up the extreme custom made rifles that he makes! That one is beautiful, but the other ones you sent me pics of are amazing. If I could persuade the wife into letting me get one I would for the fact that they go up in value unlike other investments.....

we have one on the bench right now that is almost done that is just stunning . this one in the pics is nice but has a not so fancy option of wood on it ( still expensive Turkish walnut ) just not a high dollar piece .when you see a 30-$40,000 gun with the fancy options next to it you will see what i mean . i em honored to be apprenticing with him and still have a long way to go to be able to do one of these from start to finish. your right about it being a dieing art , everything now a days is all about speed over quality unfortunately . when someone orders a rifle from us it usually takes about 2-3 years before you will see your rifle if that tells you how many people wait in line to get one from him.

here is a pic of the start of the checkering ...

2011-04-27_13-47-32_965.jpg

this is what we start with ...

2011-04-28_19-58-18_761.jpg

here is a project we finished last month i only have one pic but if you look it has been color case hardened and be hind the trigger guard is the long tang that was hand cut heated till it was red hot and hammered into shape then welded on to the trigger guard. if you blow up the pic to full size you will notice that all of the bolts he uses are torques and are all custom made out of stainless steel . again the locking trap door in the grip cap is my dads design and will have a torque wrench with different size front beads for your open sites in there.

2011-04-15_11-40-35_275.jpg

Very Very Impressive, has your father ever done a .458 Winchester Magnum? My Grandfathers hunting camp was recently raided, they actually ripped the gun safe out of the floor and threw a wall. He considered every other rifle in the safe replaceable except the .458 which I was told was handmade by a friend of his back in the '50's. (Im assuming all the guy did was hand make the stock as I can vaguely remember actually seeing the Winchester name stamped into the barrell.) It would be interesting to see if your father has ever machined one. Let me know, maybe my Grandfather will be a customer.

Very Very Impressive, has your father ever done a .458 Winchester Magnum? My Grandfathers hunting camp was recently raided, they actually ripped the gun safe out of the floor and threw a wall. He considered every other rifle in the safe replaceable except the .458 which I was told was handmade by a friend of his back in the '50's. (Im assuming all the guy did was hand make the stock as I can vaguely remember actually seeing the Winchester name stamped into the barrell.) It would be interesting to see if your father has ever machined one. Let me know, maybe my Grandfather will be a customer.

We will do just about any cartridge you desire. But ill talk to him and see what he thinks about building one of those.

Nice plinker Jon! What caliber? It would be nice to see the bedding work on the stock.

here is the stock he is almost done with , top notch peice of wood...

2011-06-23_23-33-02_31.jpg

and the inleting you requested , second to none ...

2011-06-23_23-32-36_723.jpg

2011-06-23_23-32-19_816.jpg

2011-06-23_23-32-08_788.jpg

2011-06-23_23-32-00_502.jpg

2011-06-23_23-31-51_841.jpg

2011-06-23_23-31-43_905.jpg

2011-06-23_23-32-44_354.jpg

2011-06-23_23-32-36_723-1.jpg

2011-06-23_23-32-19_816.jpg

Edited by idahoBLKss (see edit history)