Painted Tails

After our lovely fender bender on the way to nationals that totalled my trailer and sent brobrads truck into surgery. His truck is back and better than ever and he sent me a set of LED taillights to paint for him.

I did 3 very very light coats of my "light smoke" mix over the entire lights then I taped the main LED portion off and sprayed them with 3 coats of my "Dark smoke" mix.... None of my lights are done the crappy way of mixing base coat in the clear.

Here are a few pics freshly cleared.

First pic is sitting out in the natural light.

002-7.jpg

this is a picture under my garage lights with out flash

005-9.jpg

These 2 are under the same garage lighting but taken with flash to show the reflectors

004-5.jpg

003-10.jpg

The nice thing is there are no visible tape lines at all. they have 4 coats of PPG clear on them.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are sick. Do you just use some ppg paint to smoke them?

Yes I use PPG products and it's a lot more involved than just blowing some base coat and then clearing them. No offense but I have spent several year refining the process so I'm not just going to hand it out. The light transmission is the biggest issue when painting lights I can make them look totally opague but you can still see the brakes at over 500 feet in broad daylight.

sick as always brother. Brad make sure you plug the wires in the correct direction i ran into that and couldnt figure out why they wouldn't light up so just wanted to give you the heads up

Thanks Justin...I honestly did not realize you could do it backwards? I was thinking with a plug you cant screw it up??

Thanks Justin...I honestly did not realize you could do it backwards? I was thinking with a plug you cant screw it up??

the leds only get power one direction since theyre diodes something i learned from the 4 hi headlight mod