Fuel System Question

smalltownguy

I took my truck in to the chevy dealership because I got the letter about the AC blower levels not working and they will fix it and asked the folks to see what they think about the fuel system. The reason I asked them to do this is because i knew something wasnt just quite right because I would have to turn the key twice to get fuel to the engine. So the lady at the dealership tells me i will need a new fuel pump and I do agree but she also said if i change the fuel filter it will back the pump work harder with a clean filter and the pump would go out faster?? does that make any sense to yal? I know the fuel filter is dirty and needs a new one but she says if I dont give them 800 dollars for their pump right now when i change the filter it will make the fuel pump die faster because of a clean filter? could the problem not just be the dirty fuel filter? Ill do the work myself to save cash anyway but the lifetime warranty only comes with the new pump if you let them do it!!! Dang thats a lot of money!!! So any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

main question... does putting a clean fuel filter really make your pump go out faster if its older??

Hell No! Take it some where else to get a second opinion. Dealerships try and get as much money out of you as possible. Who told you that about the old/ new filter? was it an actual mechanic or over the counter rep.?

:withstupid: An old crappy fuel filter will kill your pump faster, a fresh filter periodically will prolong the pumps life. If the filter on your truck is old, change it ASAP. The extended crank you experience could be cause by a gunked up fuel filter, or a faulty fuel pressure regulator....

<br />number 1 you took it to the stealership <br />

<br />

number 2 you had a woman tell you what was wrong<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

the answer is NO.... Pretty bad when the ladies are trying to bend you over <br />

<br />

<br />

buy a damn walbro for a 100 and go on down the road.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Well guys i swapped out the fuel filter and the pump aint gone out yet.... but it is still doin the same thing when i start it up so I know the pump is weak! My next question then is if I swap out the fuel pump with the AC Delco replacement will it be as simple as droppin the tank and pulling the old assembly out and putting the new one in? Or will it be more complex like the Walbro How Too right up is? I ask only because I need to do it quick and easy and I would like a walbro but I dont think I really need a stronger pump because my mods are light and It looks a little complex with the grinding and all.... long story short Im looking for plug and play so is that the case with the AC Delco or is it a pain in the a$$ too?

You are missing a step, the extended crank could be a faulty fuel pressure regulator, it is a simple cheap fix. If that still does not fix it, then it is time to go after the pump......

Dang I just jumped the gun and bought a fuel pump and the stealership.... $378 somin after taxes and crap!!!! I may still by the fuel pressure regulator and swap it at first then but I also wanted to tell you that I went to get the AC Delco pump using a number you Fireman31 gave in another thread for a 2003 SS fuel pump and the parts guy gave me the a pump that was one number off because he ran my vin number and mine uses a different pump that was almost $100 more!!! DANG i cant catch a break.... his reasoning was some emissions BS and i didnt feel like getting the cheaper one and risking somin else stupid not workin but just FYI apparently there are more than one different types of fuel pumps in the SSS with the the in tank fuel pump system!!! Do you happen to have a part number for that regulator? and a location on the truck?

Have you or the dealership done a fuel pressure test? That should help narrow it down.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

They kept it all day the other day just to tell me i need a new fuel pump so Id assume they did going of the amount of detail they gave me... so I reckon my best bet is to just change the fuel pump and if its still acting up then ill do the regulator although that sounds bass akwards I already bought a pump so mine as well put her on and see what happens! Thanks guys! always a pleasure, thanks for stickin with me and not gettin to annoyed!

Take that pump back and get a aftermarket pump. You could do a twin Walbro, Aeromotive, or a single Bosch for the price of the one from the dealership. You are getting bent over on the pump and info you are getting from them. I would also do the regulator while you are there.