Custom Tune

SSStreetracer04

hey guys i have a diablo sport programmer and everyones telling me to get a custom tune instead. before i sell my programmer i want to find out a little bit more about the tunes...why are they so much better than the programmers? if i get a tune it would be a blackbear/ wheatley tune and i was wondering from ppl with bb/wheatley tunes what exactly you get from the tune. on the wheatley thing he asks what u want from the tune im looking for just more power and speed in general. thanks for your help!iamwithstupid.gif

When I first got my truck I did the research on all the tunes since I had a Hypercrap..I mean Hypertech programmer. From some of the research I did I found out that a hand held can adjust like 15 to 20 parameters and really only advances your times which in turn just dumps more fuel in. A custom tune can adjust over 110 parameters. I can tell you from experience that the tune will be way better than the programmer in every way. You can sell that programmer and easily pay for the cost of the tune.

When I first got my truck I did the research on all the tunes since I had a Hypercrap..I mean Hypertech programmer. From some of the research I did I found out that a hand held can adjust like 15 to 20 parameters and really only advances your times which in turn just dumps more fuel in. A custom tune can adjust over 110 parameters. I can tell you from experience that the tune will be way better than the programmer in every way. You can sell that programmer and easily pay for the cost of the tune.

To give you a better idea.

a handheld can adjust timing, speed limiter, tire and gear size, and shift points and thats about it. With someone using HP-Tuners or EFI Live they can literally rewrite the vehicles entire operating system. They can recalibrate VE tables to your specific truck which in turn means better fuel economy and overall performance. They remap the timing tables to suite your particular truck which also means better fuel economy and better performance. They can even change over to custom operating systems. Bottom line the handhelds are a piss poor excuse for reprogramming.

Silverado777 where did you get the 110 parameters thing? Have you any exp. with either tuning software? Honestly there is no end to the possiblities with the software you can adjust any engine/transmission/OS parameter that the truck came factory programmed with.

A custom tune can adjust over 110 parameters.

You raised my curiosity so I did a quick check. My stock 2003 Silverado SS OS has 503 parameters (tables) using HPTuners Pro, I personally modified 213 of these parameters (tables) to make my truck what it is today :noway:

That was the first time I did that comparison...interesting. :chevy:

To the OP, depending on how deep you are going to modify, I would suggest a "tune" from a reputable tuner. If you are going to do some pretty extensive mods (cam / heads / blower) I would suggest purchasing the tuning software your tuner of choice uses so that you can ping changes over E-mail. :smash:

alright theres so much fkin feedback on these things i dnt need any more convincing im getting a tune. as soon as i can sell my programmer ill be ordering a tune. i think ill be going with blackbear but i dont know for sure. which is cheaper blackbear or wheatley?

alright theres so much fkin feedback on these things i dnt need any more convincing im getting a tune. as soon as i can sell my programmer ill be ordering a tune. i think ill be going with blackbear but i dont know for sure. which is cheaper blackbear or wheatley?

Here You Go

Black Bear performance

I know at BB he can send you a new PCM tuned to your specifications (then Cam re-learn must be done), or for a little more he can send you a scan cable that you can use with a laptop then he will send you a new PCM and you can do the Cam re-learn with the scan cable

Wheatley

Wheatly will also send you a PCM tuned, but im not sure if he does data login tuning or not

I would not be able to tell you which one is better since my tune is from someone else. There are lots of people out there with Black Bear Tunes and lots of people out there with Wheatly tunes and as far as i know everyone is happy with them

Edited by diggerdan11 (see edit history)

Don't rule out zippy as a tuner either. He has very good prices, i believe free updates, and has either tuned or consulted on some of the fastest trucks on this site

To the OP, depending on how deep you are going to modify, I would suggest a "tune" from a reputable tuner. If you are going to do some pretty extensive mods (cam / heads / blower) I would suggest purchasing the tuning software your tuner of choice uses so that you can ping changes over E-mail. :smash:

:withstupid: Definately good advice....I wish I did this from the start. Or if u have the luxury of getting live tunes from anyone of the tuners on this site, that would be next best option.

So is the cable tune alot better then a mail order tune? Like will the cable tune be more dead on?

The mail order is an educated guess, given the info/specs they have for certian products. The "cable" tune is actual logs of what your truck is doing with the exact mods it has, so yes the "cable" tune is more precise and would be better, especially the more mods you have done.

OP, that being said my suggestiion is go with Zippy or BB, I personally had issues with Wheatley and so have a few others so save yourself the pissed off wall punching agony later.

Edited by hottelsss (see edit history)