Oil Pressure

Okay awhile back i had fluctuating oil pressure. I just finished putting I'n a new oil pressure sensor I'n and i start her up. Pressure goes max for a but then I'n the middle (275kpa) then to zero!!! So I'm like WTF man! So i take it for a quick spin and drive back to the yard. So this is what it's telling me now. Idle=zero oil pressure, 2000rpm = just under the quarter mark. Oil pump maybe???

Okay now the oil pressure sensor says 0 and my head unit doesn't work!!

Edited by canadianVRss (see edit history)

Sounds like you need to check it with a mechanical gauge connected to the engine to verify first. If your not hearing ticking sounds then I would assume you have some oil pressure. Maybe its just your stepper motor in the cluster?

Okay i took her for a little burn and oil pressure has gone up but still fluctuates. At idle it sits just above the first quarter. At 2200rpm it sits on the middle mark and dips just below randomly. Just like it did before. Guess my old oil pressure sensor was good.

Have you done any recent motor repairs or upgrades? Are you hearing a ticking sound or any abnormal engine noise? You might have sucked something (small particle) in the oil pump and that got lodged in the oil pump bypass.

First I would put a mechanical gauge on to verify that the dash gauge is reading correct or in the ballpark. Then if the mechanical gauge reads low still I would drain the oil, cut open the filter and inspect both for a copper residue or metallic particles. Then take a small extendable magnet and stick it in the oil pan and see if you get anything from there. If you get metallic stuff out of the pan, oil, and or the filter you prob spun a bearing. If it dont have the metallic particles it is prob the oil pump or possibly the oring.

No major work on the truck ever. I had the intake off and that's probably the most it's ever been dug into. So does the gauge plug into the same spot as the oil pressure gauge?

No funny noises either.

Edited by canadianVRss (see edit history)

You can buy one of these that replaces the sensor behind the intake and adapts to a 1/8" NPT port to screw in a gauge

http://store03.prostores.com/servlet/nookandtranny/the-1420/LS1-LS6-LSx-Oil/Detail

Or you can pull off the oil cooler plate and drill and tap it for a 1/8" NPT for a gauge (see below where they used a sending unit)

LS1oilinstalled300w.jpg

Edited by Sprayed99 (see edit history)

If you have an aux oil cooler it's hard to get to in order to drill and tap and work fittings around in order to get a good spot for a sensor or gauge line.

The oil pressure sensor location is a good place, and there is a allen plug on the drivers side of the block behind the alt bracket and next to the exhaust primary that you can tap into also. It is a big allen bolt and I don't know the size.

I made up a oil pressure tester from a oil filter block off plate that runs a remote mounted oil filter. I just had a "T" fitting with a 90* on each side and the 1/8"npt fitting for the oil pressure inlet. I only ran this sitting and not driving to verify my gauge on the dash was close.