Douchebag Of The Week Award

So i parked my truck as far away from everyone else as possible when the fiance and I went to dinner the other day. Some a-hole decided to park up right against the passengers side, close enough that my fiance had to climb in thru the drivers side. I started backing up and knowing there was a light pole off to my left, fearing i'd scrape against his precious Range Rover, i dismissed how close the pole actually was, until I heard a scrape, creak, and crush and my truck stopped moving.

IMAG0463.jpg

The rear tire was up against the concrete block..... So quick question, I was told that Silver Birch never looks right when its touched up, as in only a few panels being repainted and cleared, one of the guys I work with was gonna buy a Silver Birch 2500HD. The dealer told him that painting just a door,fender or any panel alone will never match, shine wise, said the color will match perfect, but at different angles the spot painted will look shiney and the rest dull and vice versa, supposedly the whole side needs to be painted..... Is it true that the clear coat will be affected this badly by just having the rear panel and bumper repainted????

Or is this a load of crap they fed him to upsell him to a 3500HD, which is what he bought instead?

Thanks guys, I appreciate any info.

It can be matched easily by a good painter, don't sweat it.Maybe if your paint was 10+ years old. I would understand then, but all you would have to do is wet sand the clear, and compound buff it, and it will be shiny as new.

Don't feel bad, I have hit a person while trying not to run into a Jaguar. She was on the phone in her raggedy ass car. Gets out, makes a huge scene. I rolled into her maybe going 1/2mph. She keeps saying something has to be done. I take a quick look around her car, and it is dented to hell, and peeling like a sun burn. I said," I have an insurance I will call the cops." She kept avoiding it, and giving me a guilt trip. It did not even leave a scratch where I hit her, but she kept telling me I ruined her day. Then she asks if I have any money on me to give her to fix, a scratch on the opposite side of the bumper. I said no, she then looks at my friends in the car, ,and asks me if they have any money. I said no. She then says it's my lucky day, that I can go. I was thinking no, this is your lucky day, obviously she had no insurance, warrants, or drugs on her.

I sold cars for 7 years. I never tried to "up sell" anyone. I didn't care if the person wanted a Aveo or Suburban. I wanted to get them in the vehicle that best suited their needs. It takes a lot more effort to put someone into a car that is not right for them, and they usually will not refer people to you or return. That's where the real money is- repeats and referrals.

Can your paint be matched? Probably. Honestly, silvers and metallics are the hardest to match. It will probably look good most of the time, but if you are picky like I am, you'll notice it in certain lighting.

My question for you is who is the douchebag of the week? The guy that parked next to you, or you for not knowing how to back your truck up?

The body shop will probably get a new cladding piece and color match it. Same w bumper cover. Then just detail the truck (which I think you did recently IIRC from ur other thread) and it'll blend in, don't worry.

Edited by Bad Ass Silvy (see edit history)

Cool thanks guys, appreciate the feedback.

scrapinby, I'm giving the award to him, and a little FYI, I drive this big Bitch like I did my 96 Z28, so I think I have a pretty good idea how to back her up. Spot was tight as hell though.

i am extremely picky. one thing you have to remember is that the bumper and cladding are plastic. plastic hold paint different than a metal panel such as the bed side that those parts are up against. the metal flake will "flop" differently even stock. i bet if you look at it now those panels dont match perfectly. a good painted will be able to blend them where they match at least as well as your truck does from the factory. my truck has never been wrecked and in certain lights i can see a very slight variance between the passenf=ger door and fender. im pretty sure i could find variance in color on the panels on your truck as well.

i am extremely picky. one thing you have to remember is that the bumper and cladding are plastic. plastic hold paint different than a metal panel such as the bed side that those parts are up against. the metal flake will "flop" differently even stock. i bet if you look at it now those panels dont match perfectly. a good painted will be able to blend them where they match at least as well as your truck does from the factory. my truck has never been wrecked and in certain lights i can see a very slight variance between the passenf=ger door and fender. im pretty sure i could find variance in color on the panels on your truck as well.

Yeah i believe it, i have noticed the differences also while im waxing and afterwards. I was just concerned it would be worse than that...

Yeah i believe it, i have noticed the differences also while im waxing and afterwards. I was just concerned it would be worse than that...

As long as you find a good painter you'll be good. I actually just had my tailgate cap repainted bc of some gouges on the inside edge and had the handle and bezel for the tailgate smoothed and reshot (what gm should have done) to get rid of the texture that was on there from the factory. And there is a slight variance due to painted plastic parts against the metal tailgate, but overall it looks great and not and further off than the factory paint was. If you are anywhere near north tx I can recommend and awesome painter. Pm me if so....