Best Combo For Spark Plugs/ Wires?

jrcharles1

What is everyone using for your plugs/wires? I need to replace mine and I want to know what I should buy. I don't have any major mods other than exhaust but when I do get a C.A.I. Headers and a tune I don't want to have to buy plugs and wires again....

Guest jasonhensley22

Gm has TSB and the new recommended plug is the NGK TR5/ix... same heat range, different gap size...

The truck says it needs a .060 gap and the NGK-7164 has that, the NGK-7397 only has .040 gap...

Edited by jasonhensley22 (see edit history)

NGK TR55IX plugs, MSD 8.5 mm wires

:withstupid: NGK TR* plugs have lots of success in the LS-motors; the MSD wires are not just the best but all the others are crap quality - if I did not have the option to use the MSD wires I would run a new GM plug wire set if I had to.

Mr. P.

:withstupid: NGK TR* plugs have lots of success in the LS-motors; the MSD wires are not just the best but all the others are crap quality - if I did not have the option to use the MSD wires I would run a new GM plug wire set if I had to.

Mr. P.

Agreed. Taylors are shit. I had a set and they ripped apart within months. Had MSD's for quite sometime now and had them off many times. Even have bendable boots to keep off the exhaust primaries.

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)

Guest jasonhensley22

Does your truck manual also update when ever GM releases a new TSB???

Everyone on this forum says to use the TR55IX, why do we need to now use the TR5IX??? That doesn't make sense...

Everyone on this forum says to use the TR55IX, why do we need to now use the TR5IX??? That doesn't make sense...

You don't you can run what ever plug you want... GM released the billetin to correct for a few things, like idle issues, if you truck runs fine on the .060 gap plug then that is good for you.

Guest jasonhensley22

You don't you can run what ever plug you want... GM released the billetin to correct for a few things, like idle issues, if you truck runs fine on the .060 gap plug then that is good for you.

Ahhh I see I see... so do YOU think I should run the .040, how would that be better than the regular .060? Thanks for all your help by the way!

On the converse of what the general concensus is above, I have had both brands of wires and thought the MSDs were a complete POS, the "bendable boots" used to find their way back to straight. I have had the same set of Taylor 409's on my truck for 3-1/2 years, they have seen some abuse and have been on and off many times, never have had any issues with them. The early issues with the 409s falling apart years ago were fixed.......

Ahhh I see I see... so do YOU think I should run the .040, how would that be better than the regular .060? Thanks for all your help by the way!

Only if your idle isn't smooth... most tuned trucks fix the issue with the tune. But when customers complained about poor idle characteristics, GM fixed them by changing the plug gap. The BB people (I do this too) also do it and get slightly better fuel mileage to boot