Earthquake

Blick05SS

Your lucky Hank! Even though I can understand the delays are a pain but trains and trucks are my life and hobbies. I was supposed to test drive brand new multi million dollar locomotives right out of the shop for Union Pacific, now lets try fitting one of those turbo's into our trucks:jester:

I wonder how the Acela was affected? Thats the only thing keeping Amtrak alive.

The Acela runs on the same tracks as our NJT, and the regular Amtrak. Everything was normal at 5:00PM.

the big thing is the geology difference between the east and west cost, is why you only felt a very little. in LA. a 5.7 would have done a lot more damage then just some buildings shaking a bit..now where i live we don't get the shakers, we get the rollers. we had a 6.5 hit some years ago about 8 mi. from the house, and you could see the the valley floor roll like waves as it went across. the coolest part was seeing the mountain range 20 mi away float up and down..

I saw a geologist on TV explaining why it was felt so widely on the east coast. Because of all the faults on the west coast, smaller pieces of the earth's plates move. In the east, the plate is basically all one piece, so the whole thing was moving. Frightening how powerful Mother Nature is. Next up? Hurricane Irene this weekend!

Edited by Hankg42 (see edit history)

Guest jasonhensley22

Welcome to my world, here in AK we get somewhere between 60-100 a day! BBBuuutt we only feel a couple a week, but thats still a lot! Especially with all of these sneaky active volcanoes nearby... ph34r.gif

I'm in Annapolis, MD going to school, and we felt it pretty good here. They evacuated all the buildings immediately and it turned out there was a good amount of structural damage... stairways cracked, and bricks and cinderblocks came through the ceilings in some places.

I'm in Annapolis, MD going to school, and we felt it pretty good here. They evacuated all the buildings immediately and it turned out there was a good amount of structural damage... stairways cracked, and bricks and cinderblocks came through the ceilings in some places.

WOW!!!

Glad u made it out okay dude.

(nice signature BTW). :chevy: