Needing To Gain A Few More Mpg

jddmj

Like the title says, I'm needing to squeeze a few more MPG's out of my truck. The truck is a 2006 4.8 ext cab 2wd. Here is a link to to my build page with what I have done to it already.http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/69054-jddmjs-06-silverado/page__hl__jddmj I tried the search button, with no luck. I got 393 miles out of the last tank which came out to be just a hair over 17 mpg. I know a tune would help........what else......please help! I need to get all I can out of it so I dont have to trade to a smaller car. I love performance but since im DD the truck now, I need all the mpg I can get.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tune, and Efans. Since you have CAI, and exhaust already there isn't much more you can do, besides keeping the rpms under 2,000 every gear.You could run some little 15 inch tires to cut weight.

06 already have Efans, and an 06 will only take a 17 inch wheel. Since I just bought a set of SS 20's, its not happening lol

Buy a bus pass lol v8 arent meant for good gas miles imo if can afford a v8 truck u can afford a dd

they dont run bus in this part of the country. I bought the truck when I wasnt have to commute and now I am. I dont feel safe in a smaller vehicle either, so im looking for anythign else that could help.

If u times it not how much gas u will spend and or mods a year u put in ur truck a 4 cyl car is not far away from purchase v8 won't or will give u good gas miles cant compare $30 a week from 200 I'n my case ya 4cylinder cars would b a Cheep buy IMO but do what u please it's ur money anyways

17 isn't all that bad for a ext. cab 2wd, I mean jeez I get around 14 myself. Nothing helps mileage more than a good tune-up, IMO. I gained around 2 mpg from changing my worn out plugs, and I bet I could get a little more with new o2's, but 14 is fine for me. Also, get rid of that 4.8, I don't know how you even stand to drive that thing, not only is it a dog but it gets worse mileage than a 5.3 from my experience.

17 isn't all that bad for a ext. cab 2wd, I mean jeez I get around 14 myself. Nothing helps mileage more than a good tune-up, IMO. I gained around 2 mpg from changing my worn out plugs, and I bet I could get a little more with new o2's, but 14 is fine for me. Also, get rid of that 4.8, I don't know how you even stand to drive that thing, not only is it a dog but it gets worse mileage than a 5.3 from my experience.

The 4.8 is well with the mods that are done. It would shock you im sure. The truck only has about 70000 miles on it, so I dont think a tune up is in order yet. Im thinking about getting a custom computer tune. Which company can get me the best MPG's?

If u times it not how much gas u will spend and or mods a year u put in ur truck a 4 cyl car is not far away from purchase v8 won't or will give u good gas miles cant compare $30 a week from 200 I'n my case ya 4cylinder cars would b a Cheep buy IMO but do what u please it's ur money anyways

I had one 4 banger to go with my truck and it was costing me 15 dollars more than driving the truck. Now that gas has went up, its costing about 40 taking into consideration I dont have a car payment or the extra insurance. But its better than being cooped up in that car.

The 4.8 is well with the mods that are done. It would shock you im sure. The truck only has about 70000 miles on it, so I dont think a tune up is in order yet. Im thinking about getting a custom computer tune. Which company can get me the best MPG's?

You mean you don't have a tune yet? Trust me, you haven't unleashed that engine until you get a good tune. 93 octane, preferably, but if you're cheap, a 87 octane might help you a little performance wise. But I doubt you'll see enough, economy wise, to justify the cost of the tune.

Keep your foot out of it, or get a scooter. Nothing will effect your economy more then your foot.

Ive been keeping it under 2000 rpms, with no hard take offs. The speed limit on my way to work is 55. I drive 55, and people are going off one me. I enjoy it haha

You mean you don't have a tune yet? Trust me, you haven't unleashed that engine until you get a good tune. 93 octane, preferably, but if you're cheap, a 87 octane might help you a little performance wise. But I doubt you'll see enough, economy wise, to justify the cost of the tune.

Just because I am wanting a few MPG's out of the engine doesn't mean I dont want to play from time to timedriving.gif. What tune does everybody recommend for MPG's but with some performance gains?

Just because I am wanting a few MPG's out of the engine doesn't mean I dont want to play from time to timedriving.gif. What tune does everybody recommend for MPG's but with some performance gains?

You got it all wrong. You should be asking what tune does everybody recommend performance wise with some mpg gains. thumb.gif I bet most recommend zippy.