Swap Or Not

I'm about to install a MP112 Radix, and now that it's getting close I'm wondering, with the cat back exhaust, Volant CAI, and the Radix, with possible LT headers in the future and that's all the power adders I want, should I swap out to a 4L80-E, or build the 4L60-E in the truck?

If 4L80 is the way to go, what's the relative ease of installing one, bolt right in plug n play, or is there a lot more to it?

Any help with this will be awesome guys cuz like I said, the Radix will be here in like two weeks (My truck is a flex fuel, so gotta wait for the kit to come together) and I need to start thinking about anything that would F&*K up my daily driver....

Thanks

there is no need for a radix truck to go to the 80e setup... the 80e is a heavier unit, it robs power, and it has a long first gear. if you dont have the power to overcome that it will just make your truck a dog. buy a good built 65e and you wont be replacing it 6 times in a year. ive had my FLT for 1.5 years now and its amazing and i beat on my truck alot. there have been many radix trucks running 11s with FLT 65e's. and one has gone 10s with a 65e also.

if i were you i would just run what you have till you need to replace it. on a side note as nikko pointed out there have been built 60's that have lasted and have made very good times BUT the percentage of them that have failed under supercharger power are tremendously more. with that said know this ... a 80e will rob the crap out of your bottom end and you will not be happy with it unless you do more mods then you listed or do the first gear change thats like $1k it self. the 80e is a very stout trans that will most likely last you for a long time and will probably not have to replace it again. the 80e is not a direct plug and play item there is a lil bit more to it then that. here is a detailed thread about the swap if you want to take the time to read through it all b4 you pull the trigger ... http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/ecsb-4wd-4l60e-4l80e-424904/ . this is a very bias subject and im trying to be as neutral as possible but if i were you i would do my own research and read multiple threads on the subject and decide for your self. good luck cheers.gif

Thanks guys, I'm leaning to a Shift kit and Servos, I have a deep pan on the truck and royal purp in it now, I really don't go to the strip often, the truck honestly has never been, but I do tow a trailer with either a 31 Model A Rat Rod or a Cannon (Yes a Cannon, like Civil War Style, lol) I really want the Radix for more power towing, and just around town.

I did however see a Level 7 FLT Trans on their website? would that be a good trans to look into, my trans already has 80,000 on it, did the fluid and pan at 65,000. Also my motor isn't the LQ9 like most you guys have, just a L59 5.3L, if that makes a difference,

prob not... :dunno:

i run a FLT's level 6. the only differnece from the 5 to the 7 is the billet in and output shafts. mine just has the output so its a level 6. and you being a 5.3 just means you have less horse which means id lean even more towards a 60e

That's kinda what I was looking at, I contacted them and Aaron or someone sent me a message saying that they would lean to a level 4 or 5 at the most depending on future mods; I think I'm gonna stick with a 60-E, or 65-E, I really like the 700-R4 style trans.:cheers:

Thanks again for all the advice and input guys! Knew I could count on SSS.com

... I contacted them and Aaron or someone sent me a message saying that they would lean to a level 4 or 5 at the most depending on future mods...

That was Andy. Tell him Kevin said hello and the 65E is holding just fine.

In your case, a built 65E is a good choice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...