Rattling Noise In Exhaust

DuvalSS

I recently bought a 2004 Silverado SS. The truck is perfect with a lot of modifications, but it has a small problem. Maybe half the time when I hit the gas, there is a rattling noise in the exhaust. I am not talking about the nosie from the pipes or any noise that should be expected, it is definitly somthing that is not right. I took it to the mechanic and he said my muffler has a filter in it and it has broke. He said i is rattling around inside the muffler and producing the weird noise. I don't know much about exhaust system, but that doesn't seem right. What else could it be? If it is the muffler what size muffler should I get( I can't the specs for the muffler anywhere)? If any one can help me or have any suggestions, please let me know.

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier to have you check also, but the heatshields on the cab and bed are kinda flimsy and tend to break at the mounts. This will cause a similar noise that is hard to pinpoint where it is coming from sometimes. Just poke around under the cab at the heatshields, and listen for a broken or loose one. If that isn't it, then take a rubber mallett to the converters, and muffler and listen for it.