Soft Pedal And Force Steering

shadow308

I have a 2003 silverado ss, I owned it for 2months and it has 118,000miles. The pedal is spongy and the steering wheel feels like theres a little force feedback, not vibration but more force to steer than other vehicles. I know chevy is know for spongy breaks, but Ive read some about the hydroboost system and they say the spool valve seal goes bad and causes these problems in the pedal and steering. Im not sure if i have the hydroboost so I uploaded a pick of mine. This is my 16 year old sons truck so its got me a little worried any help would be appreciated, Thanks. Oh , the front pads are good and I just replaced the rear pads.

post-23318-050720000 1318437603_thumb.jpg

Edited by cyrus (see edit history)

The soft pedal is very normal, you don't have hydroboost. You have the factory vaccum power brakes, as far as the steering check your power steering level maybe?

Would installing a hydroboost system help with the pedal and didnt all the SS come factory with the Hydroboost? Just starting to wonder if mine was wrecked or not and not put back with oringial parts. Thanks Edited by cyrus (see edit history)

Would installing a hydroboost system help with the pedal and didnt all the SS come factory with the Hydroboost? Just starting to wonder if mine was wrecked or not and not put back with oringial parts. Thanks

Yes installing hydroboost would most likely help with the pedal feel but it would still stop pretty good with everything stock. As far as I know no Silverado SS's came with factory hydroboost. That was only an option on Heavy Duty trucks like the 2500HD. Yours is most likely original.

Edited by Matt* (see edit history)

Guest JasonHensley22

Yes installing hydroboost would most likely help with the pedal feel but it would still stop pretty good with everything stock. As far as I know no Silverado SS's came with factory hydroboost. That was only an option on Heavy Duty trucks like the 2500HD. Yours is mist likely original.

iamwithstupid.gif lol, hes right.

I believe in 2000-2001 all trucks got hydraboost, then in 02 and beyond only the hd's got it. Bleeding the brakes will get rid of most of that sponginess. Air gets in the calipers, ESPECIALLY when doing a brake change. And a power steering fluid flush will likely improve your steering's feel as well. I say all these things because I just got done doing them with my pickup a couple weeks ago. I was driving a car for a while and when I started back driving my truck, I was like this thing feels like a piece of junk. I didn't know what I was missing.

Edited by 2001silverado364 (see edit history)

Hydroboost will help with the spongy pedal feel, but most swaps have about an inch of pedal travel till brakes are applying.

The truck has some miles on her and might need a overhaul on the steering components. Idler, pitman, and tierods can be causing this rugged steering. As well as balljoints being worn.

I believe in 2000-2001 all trucks got hydraboost, then in 02 and beyond only the hd's got it. Bleeding the brakes will get rid of most of that sponginess. Air gets in the calipers, ESPECIALLY when doing a brake change. And a power steering fluid flush will likely improve your steering's feel as well. I say all these things because I just got done doing them with my pickup a couple weeks ago. I was driving a car for a while and when I started back driving my truck, I was like this thing feels like a piece of junk. I didn't know what I was missing.

When you say all trucks do you mean 1500's as well? Because I owned a 2000 1500 and it did not have hydraboost.

Edited by Matt* (see edit history)

Yes installing hydroboost would most likely help with the pedal feel but it would still stop pretty good with everything stock. As far as I know no Silverado SS's came with factory hydroboost. That was only an option on Heavy Duty trucks like the 2500HD. Yours is most likely original.

Thanks, I appreciate You guys and fourms like this. It saves people like me hundreds of dollars , if not more a year.

Well, I thought the 2000's had it, but I guess only all of the 2001 models got it. Really strange...

negative.... all trucks are vacuum except the HD. the only other vehicles to get hydro boost is the large SUV's. Cadillac and suburbans...

negative.... all trucks are vacuum except the HD. the only other vehicles to get hydro boost is the large SUV's. Cadillac and suburbans...

Huh, I don't know what to say to that one, because I'm looking at my 2001 owner's manual and it shows the engine bay of a 5.3l and it has hydraboost. Then it shows the v6 and it has vacuum. I'd be willing to take pics and show you even. Maybe it's a pic of a 6.0l instead and not the 5.3 like it says.

• 1 month later...

My truck is at 120,000 i think steering components are about due. do you think this could be the cause of me going through power steering pumps?

Hydroboost will help with the spongy pedal feel, but most swaps have about an inch of pedal travel till brakes are applying.

The truck has some miles on her and might need a overhaul on the steering components. Idler, pitman, and tierods can be causing this rugged steering. As well as balljoints being worn.