Engine Internal Upgrades

So I have my truck in the shop for header installation and it has been nothing short of a nightmare. It has taken three extra days, they have had fitment issues and didn't quite seem to know what they are doing so it has taken tons of time, it also looks like it will cost me about twice what it should. To top it off they told me that the previous owner broke off two manifold bolts, one on each rear side that would require the heads to be pulled in order to get them removed. I was quoted another $1000-$1500 to get that fixed which I declined since I don't have that much extra cash laying around. I am assuming the headers will leak eventually due to it, so I figure I should save up and get it done, but why not upgrade internals if it needs to be torn down anyway?

So now that story time is over, questions are:

Can the bolts be removed without pulling the heads?

If no, what should I be saving up for and getting for parts considering I will by then have full bolt-ons and will likely not be able to add a supercharger/turbo any time soon?

Also if anyone in the Seattle/Vancouver area wants to make some extra money or a new friend I would love to use a different mechanic.

Yes the bolts can be removed with out removing the heads...search for some header install threads, there a few guys who had the same issue and used different methods to remove the broken manifold bolts...G/L. Sounds like the shop your truck is at doesnt know Jack!

If the truck is in the shop for a header install, I'm guessing it had the factory manifolds on it when you took it in. I'd be willing to bet anything that the shop it's at broke off the bolts and are making an excuse to cover their asses. Too bad you're not in Texas, headers are easy and I never mind helping out a fellow member. Hopefully you're luck turns around but if I was you I'd get my truck away from that shop asap.

Yeah the broken off bolts is a common problem, I just fixed three broken off bolts in a LQ9 that I'm putting into my 57 Chevy project. My trick is to heat up the bolt where it is broke in the head with a torch, then take an old nut thats a big bigger and weld directly to the center of the broken bolt. It's kind of a trick but it usually works after a couple trys. Good luck getting it fixed!

Yeah the broken off bolts is a common problem, I just fixed three broken off bolts in a LQ9 that I'm putting into my 57 Chevy project. My trick is to heat up the bolt where it is broke in the head with a torch, then take an old nut thats a big bigger and weld directly to the center of the broken bolt. It's kind of a trick but it usually works after a couple trys. Good luck getting it fixed!

Aren't you clever... I think someone just volunteered to help me do my headers!

Aren't you clever... I think someone just volunteered to help me do my headers!

Haha yeah we should be able to do... might be a bit time consuming but I'm sure we can get it done! thumb.gif

Also just remember a couple weeks in advance to spray some penetrating oil on the bolts and let it sit for a while which should make them easier to get out.

headers on our trucks are not bad at all. took me like 3 hours with some beers and dinner in there haha. (never done headers before) seem to take me the longest chopping the old exhaust off first haha. buy my ss only had 50k miles on it. i hit mine with PB blaster every night once i parked it for the day for a week leading up to the install all bolt came out with out a prob.

and it sounds like to me the shop broke the bolts. i would not pay them to fix it, if you brought it to the stock they broke it.

^^ This is definetley the way to go, however If you have your truck in the shop for headers, I'll assume that you are not really looking to do any welding yourself. If the bolts are sticking out of the head its possible you may be able to get a small pipe wrench on it, or put 2 nuts on it and back the inner nut off. No matter what way you go about it, start by spraying penetrating oil on them ASAP(and often), and remember if you use any heat source(torch or welder) the heads are aluminum and will heat much faster than the bolt so becareful, take your time and G/L.

** Another thing you may if bolt is exposed is, grind a slot in the top and use an impact driver to break it loose.

Edited by hottelsss (see edit history)

I don't have a garage or shop unfortunately so I don't have any way to do welding, not to mention I am a pretty terrible mechanic. I am tempted to confront them about it today, I may try and get the guy that worked on it to admit he broke the bolts then put some pressure on to give me a price break off the ridiculous amount he told me last night.

I don't have a garage or shop unfortunately so I don't have any way to do welding, not to mention I am a pretty terrible mechanic. I am tempted to confront them about it today, I may try and get the guy that worked on it to admit he broke the bolts then put some pressure on to give me a price break off the ridiculous amount he told me last night.

Go in with the attitude that they did it and are trying to shaft you! Which is probably the case. As for easy outs, I'd assume the they tried/would try that first.

I used an easy out on one of my easy to reach broken bolts but the other 3 that I couldn't get a drill at I used extractor rod (welding rod type) and a nut. I built up the weld from the bolts to the nut and they came right out. Only took 20min for 3 that way, and the easy out took about 25min.

Got it back last night, still not happy about what I paid but at least it's done and looks to be solid aside from the two manifold bolts that are broken off in the rears. It isn't leaking yet but I am sure it will eventually, how long do you guys think I have until I need to track down someone competent enough to remove them without charging me a ton?

It's already tuned, just had it updated for the new stuff. I don't have a clue when I will be able to get it fixed, I don't know anyone around me that can help and it will cost a lot more than I can afford to spend now to take it to a shop.