Need Help On What Oil

Cowles_SS

hey guys, i need an oil change comming up and wanna try this Royal purple oil out because ive heard good things about it.

i need some help tho on which one to get.

its winter coming up and i'm stationed at fort riley in kansas so it gets REALLY cold here and snows. Which oil do i get? Sorry i'm a real rookie at oils. the guy at the local firestone has been putting some mobil1 crap in my truck so its time for a change.Thanks

You should check out Ams Oil before you use Royal Purple. I use it in my Harleys, and Im about to put it in my V-Max. Supposed to cool the motor 30 degrees. A buddy of mine had his water pump go out in the dead of summer coming through Fl and his 350 never over heated using it.

Just my 2 cents.

I have been running 5w30 royal purple in my nnbs silverado for about 2500 miles now, I really like it. As for the oil filter, you gotta use the purlator pure one filter. Check out www.bobistheoilguy.com He did a big test of all the different filters and that one is the best.

Everyone seems to forget the inexpensive, trusty, tried and true AC Delco oil filter, which is probably one of the better filters you can get. And FWIW, Mobil 1 is not crap, your mechanic is doing you a good service if that's what he uses......

I use royal purple... Dont change the weight of the oil though.. keep it 5w-30... these engines have been designed to run in all sorts of conditions with 5w30.... It doesn't get to extreme colds here in kansas so you will be fine.

Mobil 1 isn't a bad choice either but i run RP

Everyone seems to forget the inexpensive, trusty, tried and true AC Delco oil filter, which is probably one of the better filters you can get. And FWIW, Mobil 1 is not crap, your mechanic is doing you a good service if that's what he uses......

AC Delco duraguard is actually one of the worst filters you can buy, next to fram as far as value. It's a champions labs ecore design like the stp you can get at wal mart. Oil filter study.

Edited by Mr. 3/4 ton SS (see edit history)

AC Delco duraguard is actually one of the worst filters you can buy, next to fram as far as value. It's a champions labs ecore design like the stp you can get at wal mart. Oil filter study.

Maybe I am remembering back to the old Canada manufactured AC Delco filters, before they sold out to Champion Labs about 5 or so years ago, and all became the Ecore filters.....seems like Champion Labs and Honeywell make like 2/3 of the filters on the market.....

There is a factory where I love that makes oil filter housings. My uncle works there along with a few friends. I was told that the Fram filters along with a few others are stamped with thinner steel compared the M1, K&N, and a few others that they produce the bodies for.

I have used many different kinds of filters over the years and cut open almost everyone that I have taken off. Fram was probably the worst and either Mobile1 K&N or Napa Gold being some of the best.

As for oil, I ran M1 in my truck from the day I bought it with 110k on it. I then switched to RP after my cam install for 2 oil changes or around 5k.

When I pulled my valve covers off to do the springs during the cam install, the inside of the valve covers and the whole upper valvetrain looked like it just came from the crate. There was no tarnish, buildup, or discoloration on anything from the Mobile1. I changed out my valve covers for some that I had painted at the time of the cam install. After 5k I pulled the valve covers off to check my springs and rockers and the top end looked like crap with the RP. There was tarnish and some build up in there that wasn't there before the RP. Needless to say I switched back to M1 that day, and also noticed a quieter motor.

Just some first hand info I thought I would share. I believe I still have the original valve covers sitting in my garage that I never cleaned up after they were taken off.