Plasti Rims

Miller812

so i have been wanting to plasti my chrome rims for the winter to protect them from the mag cloride for a couple weeks now thanks to will lol. unfortunatly nowhere had any in my town but ace hardware. and it was just one can. so i finally got out of town and bought up 10 cans. well now my rims are plastied. enjoy some bad pics haha.

IMG_20111203_122003.jpg

IMG_20111203_122617.jpg

IMG_20111202_170339.jpg

IMG_20111203_002128.jpg

IMG_20111203_002138.jpg

IMG_20111203_104109.jpg

IMG_20111203_110929.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone says it will come off so easy. That pretty much if the wind blows it will tear off. Trust me It wasn't easy trying to get it off. Brake cleaner, purple power, simple green, rubbing alcohol, none of those made it any easier to rub off.

Everyone says it will come off so easy. That pretty much if the wind blows it will tear off. Trust me It wasn't easy trying to get it off. Brake cleaner, purple power, simple green, rubbing alcohol, none of those made it any easier to rub off.

Thats my train of thought with this stuff...how easy is it to take off? Anyone have any first hand knowledge?

I tried to take it off one of my rims today. The spots I spray on REAL heavy pealed off fine. When it go to the ridges where the caps cover,it was pretty difficult. Are you worried about how they will hold up to everyday use, or when you try to remove it? I think everyday use you will be fine. As long as you don't curb check them. I hit them with the pressure washer, and it held up. For 25 dollars it's hard to beat.

I know the argument is why not just powder coat them, or paint them the first time. Some people can't afford to spend that much, so why not get black rims for under 30 dollars until you can afford it.

actually today i did my girls rims on her car to and one of the rims wasnt cleaned so good and the plasti lifted in a spot so i let it dry fully and then i peeled it off. kinda hard getting it started but sooooo easy to peel off if laid on thick and warmed up also. i am just doing it to protect my chrome from the mag cloride sprayed here in butte, when summer hits ill peel it off and then buy me some black 22 repz

Yeah it's a pain to remove around the lip and inside the hub. I actually found a certain brand of brake cleaner (can't remember name right now) but when sprayed on to the plasti dip and left to sit for a min or two, it turns it back into a gooey texture that you can literally wipe right off with a rag, then spray the rest off with the pressure washer. Once you get an edge peeling you can pressure wash it off. But if you spray it thicker it's a lot easier to just peel off in a couple shots. I've dipped my rims twice now.

As for day to day use, they hold up well, so long as you don't scrape your rim on anything.