Goofy Engine Code

Dummy light came on, here is the code:

P0446

Evaporative Emission System Vent Control Circuit.

What do I need to do and/or replace? Is this a big deal? I heard something about an evap solenoid which controls tank pressure, what does that entail?

Thanks for any help fellas!

-JD

vent valve needs to be cleaned and/or replaced. It's located on top of the gas tank/evap canister, some people can see it between the cab and the bed.

http://www.gm-trucks...showtopic=59403

Other causes are leaky gas cap and/or purge valve.

Edited by Mr. 3/4 ton SS (see edit history)

Tighten your gas cap, clear the code and see if it comes back........if it does, there is a TSB that covers the fix.......

Yep, but the TSB has you buy $150 in parts plus a run down to the parts store to buy 5-6 foot of rubber hose to fix a flaw that should have never been there in the first place. I went to Rock Auto, bought #2142149 for $15 and used 2 foot of hose to replace the part. Yes I know it doesn't move the vent, but I managed 5 years and 75000 miles on the original so who cares.

This seems really stupid lol... Do I just remove the negative term. on the battery to clear the code? I did recently get gas and i do remember only 1 click on the gas cap... That was a week ago and I have since tightened the cap. Code is still on.

So whats my best way to fix this stupid part? Electrical tape over dummy light if it stays on after clearing code? Damn newer vehicles.. LOL

I replaced the part twice. This last time I bought the 100 part from napa and so far no problems the 15 dollar part only lasted me a year. The reason for the fail is due to dust/dirt and over filling. I would go buy the new part and be done with it.

So I can buy the $15 six times before I've spent $100. I try not to "top it off" and over fill, and I doubt if I have the truck in 6 years.

So I can buy the $15 six times before I've spent $100. I try not to "top it off" and over fill, and I doubt if I have the truck in 6 years.

WOW you saved a whole 10 bucks!!! Do you want a cookie!!! If you want to keep climbing under the truck to keep replacing it go ahead. I wasn't even responding to your post any how.

Edited by Sick03ss (see edit history)

I replaced the part twice. This last time I bought the 100 part from napa and so far no problems the 15 dollar part only lasted me a year. The reason for the fail is due to dust/dirt and over filling. I would go buy the new part and be done with it.

Roger that, do you happen to know the part #?