Gauge Circuit Board Damage, Need Help.

Hello everyone,

I was replacing the steppermotors in my 2004 Silverado SS gauge cluster and the speedo stepper motor gaveme a lot of trouble when I was desoldering it. I ended up burning the circuitboard and damaging the contacts where the solder attaches to the circuit board. I need some advice on how to repair the damage or where to buy a newcircuit board. I got a feeling a used gauge cluster is probably going tobe my solution but if I can salvage this one that would be great. Check out the pictures.

IMG_4328.jpg

IMG_4320.jpg

Edited by PacificNWSS (see edit history)

You might be able to take a scratch pen and jump a small wire from the trace on the board to the leg of the motor once you put it in. Not the prettiest solution but it should still work, hopefully those scratches in other spots aren't too deep.

You might be able to take a scratch pen and jump a small wire from the trace on the board to the leg of the motor once you put it in. Not the prettiest solution but it should still work, hopefully those scratches in other spots aren't too deep.

Thats an idea. Im not sure if i can expose any of the metal on the upper left pin hole. I will try that tonight. The scratches are surface scratches only, i dont recommend using a craftsman professional solding iron to do electrical work... FML

I took your advice and used a pick to scratch and expose the copper wire on the circuit board. Then I soldered the stepper motor pins to the circuit board, using a generous amount of solder to ensure the pins and exposed circuit board were in contact. Plugged it all in and it worked. I don't know how permanent it will be but thanks again:)