Welder Advise

Texas_Veteran

I am wanting to get into welding in the hopes to learn enough that I can do some basic welding around my garage and hopefully learn enough to shave the door handles and tailgate on my project truck eventually.

I'm looking at getting either a Lincoln or a Miller mig welder. It has to be able to weld at least the thickness of a truck frame. I want it to be versatile enough to be able to weld thicker metals if I need to also. So, I'm just looking for a good all around welder for my garage.

What would your suggestion be? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cant go wrong with a miller imo.

I do it for a living so one this size is probably overkill for the home though . This is what I use http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/product.php?model=M00218

Edited by thomp62301 (see edit history)

Miller FTW!

If you want to really learn how to weld, pick up a arc welder (stick welder) and practice puddle control, rod angles, and arc length to work piece with it. Although you might not use it ever again after you pick up on how to do the above, it will help you with the understanding of what welding is. It will also give you some insight on how to MIG weld. I have two of the Miller 252's and for what I use them for you can't go wrong. I also have a Miller 135, and a older 185 model. The 140 is great for body panels etc but to small for much more. The 185 is in need of a rebuild, but it is perfect for the average fabrication and repair on a vehicle.

I used to have an old stick welder for basic farm use. It's been a long time since I've welded but I figure just like a bike, if I take it slow it will come back to me. So, I've been looking into the Lincoln, Miller, and Hobart mig welders. They all seem to have great features and have a good reputation. I really don't want to spend any more than $800 on a welder for shop use. I don't even mind buying a used one from someone. So, if anyone knows of a good one for sale somewhere let me know. Thanks.

I have a Hobart (can't remember the #) and it does what I need it to do. I burnt up 2 spools of wire the day I got it. I learned by trial and error THEN went to a class and read books. I almost exclusively use a flux core wire now and learned uphill stitch welding. That covers about 99% of what I need a MIG welder for, yours may of course be different!

the differance between flux-core and gas shielding is huge! the amount of mess and spatter can be discouraging, and with a MIG its so clean (espically after using stick welders to learn arc control/puddle control. I have the miller too and its dual 220/110V, shit my plasma cutter needs more juice to run:) I love to use it and look forward to building a DIY hot side of a turbo...one day :)