1 Month On Performabuilt Trans

So many of you know about my other ordeal with performabuilt and my torque converter. Well I was driving home today and gave it about 3/4 throttle from a stop and it felt like it violently dropped out of gear. Now when its in drive or 3 it will not go anywhere and will just rev. If I put it in 1st or 2nd or Reverse the truck will move with no abnormal noise or anything....any ideas?

Edited by Silverado777 (see edit history)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt it. Frank didn't seem to care that I have only been driving on it for only 3 weeks nor did he care that I was only pushing about 450 to a trans that can handle 700.... He said he'd pay shipping but again I will have to pay to the removal and install

What?!

Yup only 3 week of actually driving on it. Not even being too aggressive on it. Looks like the truck will be down another 3 weeks.....I wonder what they'd charge me to bump it up to level 3.... or do i even want to go that route...ahh hell I don't know at this point!

Yup, you spun the forward sprag in the input drum.

This has been the story of my life with the 60 I built.

1st failure: from a WOT dig

IMAG0067.jpg

2nd failure: from a 5 mph roll to WOT

IMAG0270.jpg

There is something to help this issue that is fairly easy and cheap you can do during the build. In a stock VB the over run clutches will only be applied in manual ranges. Manual low & 2nd. If the shifter is left in the 3 position the over run clutch will only come on when the trans shifts to 3rd gear while up shifting. Other than that this clutch is only used for engine breaking and will never be on in the OD position. Again all without this mod. Sonnax makes what they call the "2-3 shift valve mod" The idea of the mod is to help the input sprag holding power with the aid of the over run clutch. Thefore you get aid from the over runs in the manual 3 position instead of only manual low and 2nd. But it is not hydrauliclly possible in D position.

As you see here, part of the mod is to drill an oil passage in the valve body to direct oil for over run apply in manual 3.

1-20.jpg

2-16.jpg

There is also a shift valve you replace during this process.

My first sprag failure I didnt have this mod done but I did it when I replaced the failed sprag. But my 2nd failure I had it done but I had just come off the highway from cruising speeds and forgot I had it in "D" and I laid into it. Is this a perminant fix? No but if used I bet it would reduce the amount of input sprag failures.

With a 5.3 with a Radix this shouldnt of happened this early in my opinion but anything is possible with a 60E no matter how well you build it as its a gamble everytime especially with power adders like you and me. I learned this the hard way. At the end of the day.......heavy trucks + power adders + 60E isnt a good combination. Go with an 80 and save yourself the headache.

BTW, did they put an HD sprag in during the build? Do you have a build sheet to what is involved with a "level 2"??

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)

woww that really sucks man. if i were you id try to get a refund or at least a compensation for having it installed again. no offense but my FLT has been great for 2 years now i dont see why people think they fail. and you can ask the NE crew i drive my truck pretty hard

no offense but my FLT has been great for 2 years now i dont see why people think they fail. and you can ask the NE crew i drive my truck pretty hard

As I stated its a gamble. Some have the best luck in the world and some have failure after failure after failure. FLT's fail too.