Bleading Brakes On A 2004 Ss

PacificNWSS

Bleeding Brakes on a 2004 SS?<BR><BR>Hello everyone, I have a 2004 Silverado SS and the brake pedal feel was less than par so I decided to bleed the brakes with fresh brake fluid. Before I started there was no light or messages displayed on the gauges. After I blead the brakes I had a message in the DIC that said service brake system. I searched all over the forum and internet and most people said I need the techII scanner. After I called the Chevy dealer they said I did NOT need to bleed the brakes using the techII scanner and gave me a printout of the correct procedure. I followed the procedure with the same results. I found out if the connector going to the brake proportioning valve sensor is unplugged the message on the DIC will disappear. I removed the brake proportioning valve and inspected it for defects but none were found. Has anyone else had similar problems when bleeding their brakes? Any help is appreciated.

Edited by PacificNWSS (see edit history)

Yeah i just blead my brakes out and when the fluid pressure is low that light will come on and it resets itself whenever its back up to par, or is supposed to. Best thing i can say is feel up the resovior to the full line and leave the cap lose the push the brakes with somin and while leaving the pedal pushed down losen the bleed valve until the flow slows quite a bit the make sure to screw it back in before releasing the brakes and when you cycle the key the warning should go away cause thats when mine did anyway. Hope it helps and i didnt just tell you what you already did... I may have even rolled a foot or two and hit the brakes before the light turned off but i think it went off as soon as i turned the truck back on and hit the brakes again. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. I ordered a new proportioning valve and will have to bleed the brakes again once it's installed. I actually unscrewed the sensor from the old valve and pressed the sensor in while it was plugged in but the service brake system stayed on... Maybe it was a bad sensor?